South Indian Tomato Rice Recipe-Thakali Sadham
South Indian Tomato Rice Recipe-Thakali Sadham Author: Sujatha Muralidhar Prep time: 5 mins Cook time: 20 mins Total time: 25 mins Serves: serves 2
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Servings 2 people
- 3 tbsp cooking Oil
- 1/2 inch Cinnamon
- 2 cloves
- 1 Onion Large size
- 2 Tomato medium size
- 1 inch Ginger
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Salt or as required
- 2 tbsp cilantro /coriander leaves for garnishing
Grind onion, tomato,ginger,garlic together in the mixer/blender, to form a fine paste.
In the pan add 3 tbsp of cooking oil, cinnamon, and cloves till it becomes golden brown and starts leaving a beautiful aroma.
Then add the ground mixture, red chili powder, turmeric powder and salt, in the medium flame. If it starts stick to the bottom of the vessel, slower the flame further and add 1 tsp of oil further to this mixer.
Cook this mix in the oil till it reaches thicker consistency, and golden red in color. Remove from the fire before it reaches darker color.
Let it cool down to the room temperature.
Add this to cooked rice with salt.
Mix gently so that the rice coats well with the tomato base.
Garnish with cilantro and serve hot.
- If it starts to stick to the bottom of the vessel, slower the flame further and adds 1 tsp of oil further to this mixer.
- Make sure the paste should not go darker in color or burnt in the bottom, this will bring the bitter taste to the rice. This can be overcome by stirring it occasionally and maintaining the flame and by adding little oil.
- Drizzle of Gingelly Oil can bring down the strong flavor if you feel it is too strong.
- To get the perfect combo of onion with tomato, Check the quantity of tomato should be little more than the quantity of an onion, to get perfect taste and texture of tomato rice.
Calories: 248kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 1196mg | Potassium: 422mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1450IU | Vitamin C: 22.8mg | Calcium: 36mg | Iron: 0.9mg