This is a delicious recipe for tomato soup from tomato paste. It is smooth, filling, super easy and finally, it is very delicious. This family-friendly dish requires just four easily available pantry-ready ingredients, that most of your kitchen have it already.
This homemade Tomato soup from tomato paste is ultimate and convenient. You can make this quick and will be on your hands at the moment when you have a temptation for a warm soup. This dish is that speedy where it meets the imagination.
Here in Pennsylvania, it is raining almost every other day now. Now you know the reason for coming up with this luscious tasty soup. This quick genius recipe I always rely on and this, in fact, does not disappoint me whenever I make it.
When you stand next to the window and all you see only the rain? And looking to have a sip of warm cozy soup and do not have time to spend in cooking? this is effortless tomato soup is helpful.
Grab large wedges of buttery bread and a bowl this soup and feel the heaven. I’m not exaggerating, I’m sharing what I have experienced.
It is made with very few ingredients, precisely to say 3 main ingredients. So, getting the wrong results with this Tomato soup recipe is not possible because of its minimal process and minimal ingredients.
Some of you might be wondering, will tomato soup with tomato paste tastes good? And yes of course It is. There are many products available in the market, as the tomato substitute.
And this tomato paste is an important and close substitute for tomatoes for making tomato soup. Furthermore, it makes the soup silky and velvety.
Other soups you may like,
- Clear tomato soup
- Roasted red pepper tomato soup
- Vegetable tortellini soup
- Hibachi soup recipe
- Pineapple rasam(South Indian style pineapple soup)
Making tomato soup from tomato paste on this rainy day is perfect — no formal dining rituals, which is an ultimate atmosphere to relish this. Here I want to mention that I’m not a beautiful writer to explain in words. I am still trying to bring out the goodness of this soup.
Like my earlier Tomato rasam, this Tomato paste soup is one of my family’s favorite. Which they keep nagging me to make all the time.
How does this tomato soup from Tomato paste tastes like?
This taste creamy with the beautiful flavor of tomato and with the hint of garlic’s flavor. The tartness of the tomato paste is balanced well with the almond milk. And the basil and olive oil enhance the soup’s aroma and taste.
This is a standalone filling dish. It can be served as a starter or as a mid-day snack or as a light dinner. This is the basic recipe and can be customized or developed according to an individual’s preference.
• Serve with buttery bread slices.
• Serve with soup biscuits.
• Serve with tortilla chips
Make ahead and Storing Ideas
- This tomato soup from the paste is made from store-bought cans. The idea behind this recipe is to cut down the cooking and preparing time. So there are no make-ahead ideas to describe. But all you require to do is to make sure that you have canned tomato paste in your pantry.
- The leftover can be refrigerated or frozen. Reheat it by microwave or stovetop method. Both turn out good and taste the same even after the reheating.
Can you make tomato soup out of tomato paste
Yes, after reading the above, now you might know how delicious it would be. You can make either with store-bought tomato paste or home-made tomato paste. When the tomato is in season and when available in abundance, you may process and make homemade tomato paste and store it for months.
Which brand of tomato paste?
Tomato soup recipe can be made with any brand of tomato paste. And did not have a restriction to a single brand. I generally use Costco brand organic tomato paste. And I’m always successful. I have tried a couple of times with Walmart available major brands and I did not have any complaints against them as well.
Can I substitute Almond milk with whole milk?
No, I strongly recommend not to use whole milk as the milk gets cuddles because of the acidity in the tomato. Almond milk in this recipe used to mellow down the sourness of tomatoes. If you are not using almond milk to make tomato soup from tomato paste then, add 1 tablespoon of butter to neutralize the taste.
Can I use tomato sauce as a substitute?
No, not in this recipe. Because tomato paste and tomato sauce are entirely two different products. Where tomato paste is plain, and tomato sauce is savory with added spices. Tomato sauce taste varies from brand to brand. So, I cannot guarantee how tomato sauce would turn in this recipe.
Possible variation of various diet
- This tomato soup- tomato paste here referring to the store-bought canned version. But can be adapted to various diets with some altering to the main recipe.
- This is naturally a Vegan, vegetarian, Whole 30,
- For Paleo, Keto, Healthy diet, substitute tomato paste with the homemade tomato puree.
Variations for cooking
Basic recipes and can be altered to many interesting variations. The same rule is applicable to this homemade tomato soup using tomato paste.
- Planning to serve kids and feel this soup is not healthy enough for them. No worries, add in vegetables like carrot, peas to make it more nutritious and healthier.
- Are you planning for a last-minute dinner? this recipe is yours. Add cooked pasta to make a quick wholesome instant dinner.
- Throw in leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken. A good way to add a protein source.
- Spice up-add slit serrano peppers while cooking. But remove them before serving. The essence of serrano peppers gets blended beautifully and adds a nice kick to the soup.
- Try each time with different herbs like mint, cilantro, sage, lemongrass, oregano. Each brings out different tastes and flavors. And makes everyone feel like you are serving them different dishes each time, but in reality, you repeat the same recipe. This is fun right!
Other Easy recipes you may like,
- Indian Brussel sprouts
- Baked tortilla chips
- Baked Hasselback potato recipe
- crispy baked eggplant
- Tandoori paneer tikka in oven
Key ingredients and their substitutions
To make tomato soup from tomato paste, we need
Tomato paste- This is store-bought readymade tomato paste. You can use any of your favorite brands. This tomato paste can be substituted with homemade tomato puree.
Almond milk- I have added almond milk to defuse the bold taste of the tomato. Ideally, this tomato soup tastes creamy and rich when butter is added. But almond milk does the same role of butter, and give an aspect to the soup.
Basil- This is the flavoring agent here. You can substitute with cilantro, sage, mint, etc.
How to cook tomato soup made with tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic gently crushed
- 1 can tomato paste
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1 cup water
- ¾ teaspoon salt or as required
- 1 teaspoon whole black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon olive oil optional
- Over medium heat, in a big pot, add vegetable oil and gently crushed garlic.
- Allow it to sizzle in medium flame until it is fragrant.
- Then add tomato paste, almond milk and water. Bring it to boil.
- Then simmer the flame for 10 minutes.
- Discard the garlic chunk.
- Now stir in salt, crushed black pepper, dried basil and drizzle in olive oil.
- And transfer to serving bowl and enjoy!
- Drizzling olive oil is optional. But it can also be substituted with butter.
- Adjust the consistency with water.
- If the soup is thick add water and adjusts the thickness.
- If it thin, allow it to cook further until it reached preferred thickness.
My daughter made your recipe it was amazing. No need to ever buy canned tomato soup ever. Thanks for this super easy Tomato Soup Recipe.
Thanks Carol, happy to know that this tomato soup recipe suits beginners as well. And glad you liked this recipe.
Amazing recipe! The only thing I would change is the amount of black pepper used, it’s a bit spicy.
So easy, thank you! I love that you used almond milk. I can't wait to try this!
Such a helpful recipe! Will surely do this from now on.
Amanda | The Kitcheneer
Definitely going to try to make this easy version tomato soup using a pantry staple such as tomato paste! Great idea!
I always have a can of tomato paste in my pantry. This recipe was so helpful!
So good! I love how smooth this soup is, and that it's dairy-free.
Sisley White - Sew White
This is such a good recipe and I never thought of using tomato paste for soup before. My go to recipe now.
Wow, very good indeed! I would have never thought to use tomato paste to make a delicious soup! You thought me a lot here!
Never buying store-bought again!
Thanks for this. My kids love it!
This looks great! I love how it is made basically with store cupboard ingredients, so no need to shop for anything fancy, and still have yummy soup!
This is so amazing! Such a perfect balance of flavors!
S A Jenkins
Tasted great with few ingredients. Only had spices browned in a little butter (minced garlic and garlic powder, onion powder, lots of black pepper and salt), a rind of Parmesan and tomato paste, and kefir (blueberry) instead of almond milk. Adjusted kefir by adding water to bottle. Strained into soup bowl with a few dashes of hot sauce (no kids in house) and it fit the bill.
Next soup will have veggies in it. Thanks for recipe!!
Hey Jenkins, your version of this tomato soup sounds great!! Blueberry kefir, something I should try as well!! Happy cooking!!