Pan fried wonton recipe yields soft, chewy and crispy at the bottom. Very easier to make, perfect for any party, gatherings, and potlucks. The choices of filling are infinite and we are discussing everything below.
As Chinese expands boundaries for their business, so as their food. Wontons are one such recipe getting the limelight and popular among many nations. And this pan-fried wonton recipe is easy, healthy and looks appealing as well.
The main success of this recipe is customization. The choices for filling can be made according to individual preferences and availability of ingredients.
Choosing the right ingredients
Cabbage and one protein ingredient are the main ingredients. The Choices of protein for this pan fried wonton recipe can include tofu, cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, ground chicken, ground beef or ground pork.
To make it the vegan recipe, Choices of ingredients can be tofu, cabbage, green peppers, and others.
To make this pan-fried wonton recipe as vegetarian, my choices would be cottage cheese/ricotta cheese, cabbage, green pepper, etc.
Others can include ground chicken/ground turkey/ground beef / ground pork as the main ingredient.
The filling can be made in advance, filling and frying the wontons can be done just before serving. These pan-fried wontons taste super yummy when they are super hot.
Tips to make Pan Fried Wontons Recipe:
I made the Vegan version today with tofu, cabbage, and green peppers. I used firmer tofu(its and variety available in the grocery stores).
Shred cabbage and green peppers as fine as possible.
A small tip shredding cabbage: I use the vegetable slicer to shred cabbage, it is so simple and easier and they are super thin. It takes lesser time compared to chopping.
You may also use shredded carrots, turnip, radish. Each vegetable brings out distinct taste and flavor to this pan-fried wontons.
Pan fried wonton recipe
For the filling
- 1 cup firm tofu crumbled
- 1 cup cabbage shredded
- 1/2 green bell pepper shredded
- 1/4 cup carrot shredded
For the wonton
- 20 wonton wrapper
- 1/4 cup water for brushing
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
For the filling
- Remove and drain tofu from the package, keep it in a plate for about 10 minutes.
- In a pan add vegetable oil, shredded cabbage, green bell pepper, carrot.
- Saute it on high heat for 2 minutes or until it turns soft but still crisp.
- Transfer to a plate and set aside.
For preparing the wontons
- In a prepping board, place a wonton sheet.
- Keep 1 tbsp of the vegetable mixer in the center of the wonton sheet.
- Brush water on four sides of the sheet. The water should be just enough to make it sticky.
- Bring all the four sides of the sheet together and seal all the edges. (Brush with water again to the sides if it is not sticking properly)
- Repeat the same procedure for all the remaining sheets.
For making pan fried wontons
- Keep a wide pan in medium flame add 2 tablespoon of vegetable oil.
- Arrange all the prepared wontons without crowding. So that all the wontons sits on the surface of the pan.
- Leave little space in between, as it may sticks to each other while cooking.
- Once the bottom surface turns brown, spray/sprinkle water all over the wontons just to make them wet.
- Cover the lid and cook for 5 minutes.
- If the wonton wrappers have not cooked properly, sprinkle water again, cover the lid and cook completely.
- Serve pan fried wontons hot with soy sauce or hot sauce.