Pan fried wontons recipe yields soft, chewy and crispy at the bottom. Very easier to make, perfect for any party, gatherings, and potlucks. The choices of filling are infinite and we are discussing everything below.
As Chinese expands boundaries for their business, so as their food. Wontons are one such recipe getting the limelight and popular among many nations. And this pan-fried wontons recipe is the easy, healthy and looks appealing as well.
The main success of this recipe is customization. The choices for filling can be made according to individual preferences and availability of ingredients.
Choosing right ingredients for filling for pan-fried wontons :
Cabbage and one protein ingredient are the main ingredients. The Choices of protein can be tofu, cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, ground chicken, ground beef or ground pork.
To make it the vegan recipe, Choices of ingredients can be tofu, cabbage, green peppers and others.iuoiu
To make this pan-fried wontons recipe as vegetarian, my choices would be cottage cheese/ricotta cheese, cabbage, green pepper etc.
Others can include ground chicken/ground turkey/ground beef / ground pork as the main ingredient.
The filling can be made in advance, filling and frying the wontons can be done just before serving. These pan-fried wontons taste super yummy when they are super hot.
Tips to make Pan Fried Wontons Recipe:
I made Vegan version today with tofu, cabbage, and green peppers. I used firmer tofu(its and variety available in the grocery stores).
Shred cabbage and green peppers as fine as possible.
A small tip shredding cabbage: I use the vegetable slicer to shred cabbage, it is so simple and easier and they are super thin. It takes lesser time compared to chopping.
You may also use shredded carrots, turnip, radish. Each vegetable brings out distinct taste and flavor to this pan-fried wontons.
Best Pan Fried Wontons Recipe
Pan fried wontons recipe- vegetarian Chinese dumplings are made with wonton wrapper, vegetables like cabbage, carrot. A tasty appetizer which is soft, chewy and crispy at the bottom. Very easy and simple to make, perfect for parties and families.
- 20 Wonton wrapper
- 1 Cup Firm Tofu crumbled
- 1 Cup Cabbage Shredded
- 1/2 Green Pepper Shredded
- 1/4 Cup Carrot Shredded
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil
- Remove and drain tofu from the package, keep it in a plate for about 10 minutes.
- In a pan add shredded cabbage, shredded green pepper, shredded carrots and saute it on high flame for 2 minutes or until it turns soft but still crisp.
- Set aside and bring it to room temperature.
- In the kitchen counter, arrange wonton sheets.
- Keep 1 tbsp of vegetable mixer in the center of each wonton sheet.
- Brush water on four sides of the sheet.
- Bring all the four sides of the sheet together and seal all the edges. (Brush water to the sides if it is not sticking properly)
- Repeat the same procedure for all the remaining sheets.
- Keep a wide pan in medium flame, arrange all the prepared wontons. So that all the wontons sits on the surface of the pan.
- Leave little space in between, as it may sticks to each other while cooking.
- Once the bottom surface turns brown, spray/sprinkle water all over the wontons just to make them wet.
- Cover the lid and cook for 5 minutes.
- If the wonton wrappers have not cooked properly, sprinkle water again, cover the lid and cook completely.
Serve pan fried wontons hot with Soy sauce, hot sauce.