It is time to be on the high spirit, Instant pot potato curry. This Indian style curry is loaded with potatoes in a thin, spicy onion, tomato sauce, which balanced well with red chili powder, coriander powder, and turmeric powder. Ready in 15 minutes effortlessly, makes it worth to try on busy weeknight dinners.
This Instant pot curry is simple and straightforward and not with extra frills or fancy ingredients. Most of the ingredients are commonly available in any of the leading grocery stores. No access to some of the ingredients? well no problem at all, we will discuss all the substitutions and tips.
This spicy Instant pot potato curry can also be adopted to stove top or pressure cooker methods.
I know you well, you are already a busy person and doing multiple tasks at the same time. You do not need to spend much time in the kitchen and start focusing on other works. As this Instant pot potato curry recipe is a life saver, because of its less preparative work. There is no surprise this recipe became my most favorite.
This is one of the easy Indian Potato curry recipes. It is tasty and can be made with minimal ingredients and in a short span of time. If friends are coming over, and you are thinking of making two or three side dishes. And would be the best choice in these types of occasions and one the best Instant pot Indian curry recipes.
My mom makes this very often at home when we were young. When we return from a long trip and longing for home food, she makes this dish for sure. She surprises us by making it in lesser time. And I thought I should share this impeccable dish with tips and secrets.
Well, I’m hearing what you asking now.
How does this Instant pot potato curry tastes like?
This does tastes spicy but balanced well with the hint of tomato taste. And looks adorable in golden red color with the cream-colored potatoes popping in between the spicy thin gravy.
Other spicy side dishes you may find interesting
How to serve potato curry?
- This easy simple Indian potato curry is best to side dish to serve with Indian dishes like chapathi, dosa or poori/puri. To put it in other words, this is the spicy dish that goes well with the neutral main dishes like the above.
- And this instant pot potato curry also perfectly matches up with naan bread or any flatbread. Can also be served as a vegan dip for your favorite appetizers.
Make Ahead preparation
We always have this question when planning for cooking. Can I prepare anything in advance to minimize the pressure while cooking? And this question pops for all from the beginners to the professionals. Well, my serious answer would be, No, this recipe does not need a make-ahead preparation. As this is the easy potato curry, and with the comfort of the Instant Pot.
But still, you may peel the potatoes, ginger, and garlic a day before. And we are doing rest of the steps directly in the instant pot.
How to store?
The leftover can be refrigerated to use within 2-3 days and can be frozen to use within 3 months. But make sure that you store in air sealed container, to avoid any contaminations.
Indian potato curry-Pairing Ideas
As we have already discussed this simple Instant pot potato curry is great to serve with chapathi, poori, dosa, appam.
This is also good to serve with naan bread, paratha, or other flat breads.
Raita would be the perfect sub condiment for this spicy potato curry.
Adotpion of various diets:
This is naturally a vegan, vegetarian, Whole 30, clean eating and real food.
Keto: substitute potato with vegetables
Paleo: substitute potato with sweet potato or vegetables.
South Indian Potato-Variations
- Add vegetables like peas, carrots, green beans, cauliflower to make it more nutritious.
- To make it Kerala style potato curry, add ground coconut or coconut milk.
- The recipe is an Andhra style dish, to make it hot, add 1/2 teaspoon of red chili powder.
- You can convert the instant pot potato curry recipe to the stove top version. Follow all the steps. Instead of the Instant Pot, you may use a pan for cooking. And half a cup of water more to allow the potato to cook.
- If you are using the pressure cooker, follow the same steps but swap Instant pot with the pressure cooker. After the first whistle, simmer the flame and cook for about 5-7 minutes.
The ingredients and their substitutions
Potato: Any potato verity is good for making this curry. But golden Yukon potatoes top with the priority. According to the availability choose the verity. Since it is a root vegetable, it comes with some unwanted bacterial friends. So wash them thoroughly before using.
Ginger and Garlic: A small piece of ginger and garlic is more than sufficient to make this Instant pot potato curry. Using them fresh gives a robust flavor to the dish. But instead, you may use ginger garlic paste. Ginger is not is tougher to get in the stores anymore. But in its absence, you may skip using it. And assume, garlic is universal and you have it at home already.
Onion: Use any type of onion, red, yellow or white onion. As this will not alter the taste of the potato curry.
Tomato: This is the taste enhancer. Plum tomatoes or Roma tomatoes are great for making this recipe. But you may substitute with diced tomatoes that are available in cans.
Cumin Seeds:This adds a hint of flavor to the dish. If you do not have it handy, you skip or substitute with fennel seeds.
Serrano peppers / Green chilies: These are Thai green chilies available in out Indian store in Pennsylvania. You may substitute with serrano peppers which of with the same flavor.
How to make potato curry in Instant Pot
Prepare the ingredients- Wash and peel the vegetables. Peel of potato, onion, ginger, and garlic. Gently crush the ginger and garlic with the knife or back of the ladle.
Season- Add cooking oil and cumin seeds. Cook until it splutters. The spluttered seeds are more aromatic and help for easy digestion.
Saute– Add onion and cook until it is soft and change to pink. Add crushed ginger and garlic. Add tomato and saute further.
A pro tip: Each of this ingredient has different cooking time, so add it different paces. Add each one until it is aromatic.
Add salt while sauteing- will make the vegetables cook evenly and faster.
Spice it up- Add red chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and saute for 10 seconds.
Pro tip-watch out, the spices should not get burnt, the Instant pot in on high heat now.
Combine– Add peeled potatoes, and water. Taste now and adjust the salt here.
Cook– Close the lid of the Instant Pot. Set the timer manually for 7 minutes. Wait for about 10 minutes to allow to release the pressure.
Garnish– Open and Slightly mash ¼ of the potatoes. Transfer it to the serving bowl and garnish with fresh cilantro.
Instant pot potato curry
- 1 1/2 cup Potato peeled
- 2 tbsp Cooking oil
- 1/4 tsp Cumin
- 1/4 cup Onion
- 1/2 inch Ginger
- 1 pod Garlic
- 2 Serrano peppers stilted
- 1/2 cup Tomato roughly chopped
- 1 tsp Red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Water
- 2 tbsp Cilantro chopped for garnishing
- Cut potato into wedge shape. Crush ginger and garlic gently with back of ladle.
- Set Instant pot to ‘Sauté’ mode.
- Add cooking oil and cumin seeds. Allow it to splutter.
- Add chopped onion, and sauté until it becomes translucent.
- Then add ginger, garlic, serrano peppers. Sauté for 30 seconds.
- Now add tomato sauté until it becomes soft.
- Add red chili powder and turmeric powder. Sauté for 20 seconds.
- Add water and potato wedges. Close the lid.
- Set the Instant pot manually for 7 minutes.
- Once cooked, wait for 10 minutes to release the pressure.
- Open the lid, gently mash 25% of the potato make the curry thicker.
- Transfer to serving bowl, and garnish with cilantro.
- Serve hot as a side dish.