How to make homemade teriyaki sauce? This recipe is easy and straightforward, best for healthy vegan dinner. Use this sauce for stir fry and as the marinade. The main ingredients are soy sauce, cornstarch, brown sugar.
There are a couple of things which you always make repeatedly in the kitchen. And this homemade teriyaki sauce is one of the recipes which I make almost every other week. Why? one simple reason my family loves it.
I keep changing the ingredients every time I make. This addition of new flavors makes my family feel that it is fresh and new.
If you never tasted this sauce before, let me tell you that this would become one of your favorite dishes.
This homemade Teriyaki sauce is versatile. When is sauce added to the main ingredient makes it an altogether like a whole new dish? Like if this sauce added to chicken or mushroom or beef or tofu or cauliflower or paneer. It becomes teriyaki chicken, teriyaki, mushroom, teriyaki, tofu, etc.
If you are planning to make a teriyaki side dish, then what could be the other dishes perfect to make it a whole meal?
The how to make homemade teriyaki sauce recipe transforms into many the forms according to the chief ingredient added to it. So, make this base sauce and add your favorite part make a new dish.
The secret behind a true cook is making many dishes with the same basic recipe.
Making the base is as easy as like counting the numbers from 1 to 3. Surprisingly you can make within 5 to 10 minutes. All you need is the proper, right ingredients handy.
Making this how to make homemade teriyaki sauce recipe and customizing it number of times made me an expert in handling. So get them guaranteed perfect every time you make. I try to explain as much as possible I can and I have also discussed various customizing options.
What makes this homemade teriyaki sauce to stand out among its other choices in the market.
First, it is cheaper. A bottle of sauce may be available at 2$-3$ depending on the size and the brand. Whereas if you make at home it is much lesser, probably 10% of the market price. Moreover, you know what is in your dish.
Secondly, customization. you know, how to customize it to your preference. If you do not prefer ginger, then skip it. If you want to make this recipe with honey, You have an option to include it.
Thirdly, When you want to make, you do not need to rush to the store and you already know how to make it home. No need to worry about the expiry date of the store bought bottles.
Few tips for making perfect.
- Minced ginger in this recipe is optional.
- You may also include roasted sesame seeds, pineapple chunks to make it more flavorful.
- Every added ingredient makes it richer and wholesome.
- Add or reduce brown sugar according to your preference.
- Light Brown sugar gives a beautiful rich color to the sauce. Whereas dark brown sugar makes it look darker.
Suggestion for Substitutions:
- You may substitute arrowroot starch for cornstarch.
- You may substitute brown sugar with the refined sugar.
- You may skip rice vinegar if it is not available to nearer to you.
Few FAQs about how to make homemade teriyaki sauce:
What is teriyaki sauce used for?
It can be used as a marinade for the meat and vegetables. It can be a base sauce for making dishes like teriyaki chicken, teriyaki mushroom. And it can also be served as sides, dip for the main courses or appetizers.
How to make homemade teriyaki sauce thick?
Cornstarch in this recipe thickens the sauce. You may also use arrowroot starch instead of thickening.
Does teriyaki sauce need to be refrigerated?
Yes, it has to be refrigerated, because of the water and the fresh garlic and ginger we have added. It stays good for about 10 days in the refrigerator.
Can you use teriyaki sauce as a marinade?
Yes, you can use this same sauce as a marinade for the meat and veggies. For chicken allow it to marinate for about 30minutes to 1 hour. For seafood, least 15minutes will work better.
How much teriyaki sauce to marinate chicken?
There is no strict rule for the amount of the marinade. The amount would be perfect as long as it can coat the chicken well.
How to make homemade Teriyaki sauce with honey?
You may also add honey along with light brown sugar. About 2 tbsp of honey would be perfect for this recipe.
Liked this how to make homemade teriyaki sauce recipe?
How to make Homemade Teriyaki Sauce:
Step 1. Combining the ingredients:
- In a mixing bowl, combine 1 cup of soy sauce, 1 cup of water, ¾ cup of brown sugar,
2 tbsp of rice wine vinegar, a tbsp of minced garlic, a tbsp of minced ginger.
- Stir well until cornstarch combines with the wet ingredients.
Step 2. Thickening the sauce:
- Heat a pan over medium flame, add this mixture.
- Stir continuously.
- Watch out as the sauce thickens quickly.
- Make sure you are next to the sauce until it gets cooked.
- Remove it from the flame. Allow it to cool down.
- Then transfer to the glass jars.
- And store in the refrigerate.
Printable recipe card for How to make Homemade Teriyaki Sauce:
How to make homemade teriyaki sauce
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 tbsp ginger minced
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- In a mixing bowl, combine soy sauce, water, rice vinegar, light brown sugar, minced garlic, minced ginger and cornstarch.
- Stir well until cornstarch dilutes.
- In simmer flame, add this mixture to a pan.
- Stir continuously, and cook it until the sauce thickens to the desired consistency.