Spicy tofu steak is a grilled, fabulous, and healthy appetizer. It's crisp outside and soft and creamy inside. Of course, it's vegan as well. It is best to serve with vegetables, rice, or noodles. It's a great vegan substitution for meatless days.
Nowadays, I have started exploring various dishes worldwide and sharing some of them that I liked the most.
And cheesy, calorie-rich recipes may not be found here as I'm not making it quite often in my kitchen.
It's freezing outside at 45°F, which made me grill with the comfort and coziness of my kitchen. I used a portable kitchen Grill for this recipe. But pan-searing is also perfect for making the tofu steak.
I used my marinade for this spicy tofu steak, but that's fine if you also use any store-bought marinade.
Firm tofu is perfect for this Asian-style recipe. Your local stores may carry this and find it in the produce section. It may also be stored along with fresh mushrooms and carrots.
This spicy recipe is easy to make and excellent for meatless days. Open the pack, drain the excess water, and place it on a plate to get drained completely.
How to make spicy tofu steak
Cut them into bite-sized cubes. The perfect thickness would be half an inch thickness.
Pro tips: 1. For variations, cut into lengths. 2. Want more creamy inside? increase the thickness of the slices.
Combine soy sauce, chili garlic sauce, cornflour, and rice vinegar and make it a flowing consistency paste.
Spread the marinade evenly on the sliced tofu. Be cautious, as the tofu is tender and breaks easily. Let it get marinated for about 10-15 minutes.
Heat the grill to medium heat.
Spray cooking oil to the base of the grill.
Place the marinated tofu and respray the cooking oil.
Grill it for about 5 minutes on both sides or until your desired texture is reached. Spray cooking oil in between if needed.
Serve Tofu. Steak hot along with rice and steamed vegetables. If you plan to serve as an appetizer, serve with ranch or chili garlic dip.
Other Asian recipes you may like,
- Spicy garlic edamame
- Spicy tofu steak
- Spicy teriyaki sauce
- Pan-fried wontons
- Cabbage Manchurian
- Paneer Manchurian recipe
Printable recipe card
Spicy tofu steak
- Open the tofu pack.
- Place it in a wire rack for 10 minutes to drain the excess water completely.
- Cut them into bite-sized cubes.
- Add tofu cubes, soy sauce, chili garlic sauce, and cornstarch in a mixing bowl.
- Combine until the sauces coat the tofu cubes evenly.
- Set aside for 10-15 minutes to marinate.
- Heat the grill to medium heat.
- Brush vegetable oil to the base of the grill.
- Place the marinated tofu and brush gently with vegetable oil on the top.
- Grill it for about 5 minutes on both sides or until your desired texture is reached.
- Serve hot, along with rice and steamed vegetables.