"Vegetarian Wonton" belongs to Chinese cuisine! Thanks to globalization as nowadays, these Chinese vegetarian tofu wontons are available every nook and corner of the world by customizing according to their region.
This is the vegetarian version of wonton filled with tofu and cabbage. The main ingredient Tofu is responsible for the health factor for the recipe whereas cabbage takes care of its excellent texture.
This is the basic version, but you can add the stuffing from broccoli, carrots, minced meat, cauliflower, etc., and the sky is the limit in deciding its ingredients.
Folding the wontons takes a little time for the beginners so plan accordingly. You could make these patterns before in hand while watching TV or convert this as family time by engaging other family members.
How to make
1. Any form of tofu can be used for this recipe. I went with the larger chunk of tofu, which was available for me in the grocery store.
2. Shred cabbage, tofu, garlic and chop capsicum finely.
3. Heat a pan and add a teaspoon of cooking oil. Then add chopped garlic and saute till it leaves out the aroma in the air. Then add finely chopped capsicum and continue to saute for another 2-3 mins.
4. Saute them in medium flame.
5. Once capsicum starts shrinking from its original shape, add shredded cabbage and continue to saute till they are half cooked. Then add shredded tofu and saute for another 2 minutes. Switch off the flame and add salt and keep it aside.
6. Now it is time to prepare the wontons. Place a wonton sheet on a plate. Brush it with water on all the four sides.
7. Scoop a spoonful of tofu mixture and place it carefully in the center of the wonton sheet.
8. Fold them as half, and do not fill too much of the mixture as they can not bring out the proper patterns.
9. Then gently bring both the corners together, one above the other. And leave the two exterior corners.10. Repeat the same process for all the remaining wonton sheets.
11. If you are not comfortable with making this pattern, then choose any pattern of your choice.
12. Bring water to boil in the steamer, and arrange stuffed wontons gently over it. And steam it for 8-10 min in medium flame.
13. Once cooked switch off the flame and allow the steam to escape by keeping them aside. Once it cooled down slightly, gently remove and serve super tasty wontons along with soy sauce, I like to add a hint of wasabi sauce to the soy sauce.
For the filling
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- ¼ cup green pepper /capsicum-thinly sliced
- ½ cup cabbage shredded
- ½ cup tofu crumbled
- ¼ tsp salt or as required
- 20 sheets wonton wrappers
For the filling
- Over medium heat, place a pan. Add vegetable oil and minced garlic.
- Saute until garlic is fragrant.
- Then add finely chopped green pepper and continue to saute for another 2-3 mins.
- Once green pepper starts shrinking from its original shape, add shredded cabbage and continue to saute till they are half cooked.
- Then add shredded tofu and salt. Saute for another 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place a wonton sheet over a cutting board.
- Brush all the four sides with water(to make them sticky).
- Scoop a spoonful of tofu mixture and place carefully in the center of the wonton sheet.
- Fold them as half, and gently bring both the corners together, one above the other. And leave the two exterior corners.
- Repeat the same process for all the remaining wonton sheets.
- If you are not comfortable with making this pattern, then choose any pattern of your choice.
- Bring water to boil in the steamer, and arrange stuffed wontons gently over it. And steam it for 8-10 min in medium flame.
- Once cooked switch off the flame and allow the steam to escape.
- Once it cooled down slightly, gently remove and serve hot.
1. If you are planning to serve as breakfast, serve with soy sauce(My son loved to have with tomato ketchup)
2. If the same recipe is for the dinner then opt for serving with some hot sauces like chili sauce, wasabi..etc. and think of stuffing with some meat.
Tips and Variations:
1. These patterns are not as difficult as they look, try practicing few to achieve the best result.
2. Try to go with simple potli wrapping if you are comfortable with this pattern. Do not forget to look into other Indo-Chinese recipes like Teriyaki Chicken, Szechuan Noodles.