"Vegetarian Wonton" belongs to Chinese cuisine! Thanks to globalization as nowadays, these Chinese vegetarian tofu wontons are available in every nook and corner of the world by customizing according to their region.
This is the vegetarian version of wonton filled with tofu and cabbage. The main ingredient, Tofu is responsible for the health factor of the recipe, whereas cabbage takes care of its excellent texture.
This is the basic version, but you can add the stuffing from broccoli, carrots, minced meat, cauliflower, etc.; the sky is the limit in deciding its ingredients.
Folding the wontons takes some time for the beginners, so plan accordingly. You could make these patterns in hand while watching TV or convert this into family time by engaging other family members.
How to make
1. Any form of tofu can be used for this recipe. I went with the larger chunk of tofu available in the grocery store.
2. Shred cabbage, tofu, garlic, and chop capsicum finely.
3. Heat a pan and add a teaspoon of cooking oil. Then add chopped garlic and saute till it leaves out the aroma in the air. Then add finely chopped capsicum and continue to saute for another 2-3 mins.
4. Saute them in medium flame.
5. Once capsicum starts shrinking from its original shape, add shredded cabbage and continue to saute till they are half cooked. Then add shredded tofu and saute for another 2 minutes. Add salt, and keep it aside.
6. Now, it is time to prepare the wontons. Place a wonton sheet on a plate. Brush it with water on all the four sides.
7. Scoop a spoonful of tofu mixture and place it carefully in the center of the wonton sheet.
8. Fold them in half, and do not fill too much of the mixture as they can not bring out the proper patterns.
9. Then gently bring both corners together, one above the other. And leave the two exterior corners.10. Repeat the same process for all the remaining wonton sheets.
11. If you are uncomfortable with making this pattern, choose any pattern you choose.
12. Bring water to boil in the steamer, and arrange stuffed wontons gently over it. Steam it for 8-10 min in medium flame.
13. Once cooked, switch off the flame and allow the steam to escape by keeping them aside. Once it has cooled down slightly, gently remove it and serve super tasty wontons along with soy sauce; I like to add a hint of wasabi sauce to the soy sauce.
Printable recipe card
For the filling
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- ¼ cup green pepper /capsicum-thinly sliced
- ½ cup cabbage shredded
- ½ cup tofu crumbled
- ¼ teaspoon salt or as required
- 20 sheets wonton wrappers
For the filling
- Over medium heat, place a pan. Add vegetable oil and minced garlic.
- Saute until garlic is fragrant.
- Then add finely chopped green pepper and continue to saute for another 2-3 mins.
- Once green pepper starts shrinking from its original shape, add shredded cabbage and continue to saute till they are half cooked.
- Then add shredded tofu and salt. Saute for another 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place a wonton sheet over a cutting board.
- Brush all the four sides with water(to make them sticky).
- Scoop a spoonful of tofu mixture and place carefully in the center of the wonton sheet.
- Fold them as half, and gently bring both the corners together, one above the other. And leave the two exterior corners.
- Repeat the same process for all the remaining wonton sheets.
- If you are not comfortable with making this pattern, then choose any pattern of your choice.
- Bring water to boil in the steamer, and arrange stuffed wontons gently over it. And steam it for 8-10 min in medium flame.
- Once cooked switch off the flame and allow the steam to escape.
- Once it cooled down slightly, gently remove and serve hot.
1. If you are planning to serve it as breakfast, serve it with soy sauce(My son loved to have it with tomato ketchup)
2. If the exact recipe is for dinner, then opt for serving with some hot sauces like chili sauce, wasabi..etc. and think of stuffing it with some meat.
Tips and Variations:
1. These patterns are not as tricky as they look; try practicing a few to achieve the best result.
2. Use simple potli wrapping if you are comfortable with this pattern. Do not forget to look into other Indo-Chinese recipes like Teriyaki Chicken and Szechuan Noodles.