Let us make this spicy marinara sauce with the fresh tomato as tomatoes are in season now with the Instant pot.
This spicy marinara sauce recipe is lusciously cooked with fresh tomato, garlic, and olive oil. This smooth sauce is better than the store-bought sauce and tastes like a restaurant-style.
Ready or not, summer is almost over. The fall season has officially started here in Pennsylvania. What does it mean? meaning, it is time to wrap up the backyard garden.
Furthermore, it is time to store up all the garden-fresh vegetables for the rest of the year.
Summer plants cannot withstand the brutal winter. So it is wise to make benefit of them before they die. The first plant in my garden that cannot bear the cold nights is this tomato plant.
The leaves already started becoming dry, and the plant began falling apart. But it had all the power to hold these red gold tomatoes with their wines intact.
Want to know the best recipe which I always rely on whenever I find this plumpy red tomato? This Instant pot marinara sauce recipe is the most sought one.
Today, I planned to incorporate with Instant pot, as it can save more cooking time and minimize my workload. No standing behind the cooking range, no stirring work, no more splatters, no more hassles of cleaning up the backsplash, and the kitchen counter.
You may also check other Italian-style recipes like sweet potato pasta, vegan spinach pasta, shrimp bruschetta recipe, pumpkin pasta, buttermilk pasta, coconut milk alfredo sauce.
This Instant pot marinara recipe is the easiest and tastes like a classic Italian style restaurant.
My recent visit to Italy shattered my knowledge towards the pasta, pizza, and the base tomato sauce. Italian pasta is not loaded with cheese as here in the United States. I personally find the low cheese Italian pasta are equally tasty like the American cheesy pasta.
The new awareness of the health and body made me rethink the quantity of cheese in each serving portion. Though I like to have cheese, I started to minimize the quantity and also started omitting wherever I could.
And this Instant pot marinara sauce is one such lifesaver for me when I see to cut down my cheese content.
This simple chunky marinara sauce in Instant pot recipe, is one of my recent explorations when trying to recreate the pasta sauce which I had in Rome. We landed in Rome at brunch time. The array of roadside restaurants made me feel hungry.
We reached the hotel accommodation only after our enjoying the authentic Italian pasta. And this is the inspiration of today's Instant pot marinara sauce recipe. The pizza and the pasta I had there is incredible.
What is marinara sauce?
Marinara sauce is usually made with tomatoes, onion, garlic, and other Italian herbs. This sauce belongs to American-Italian cuisine.
And there are many variations in making it. I'm sharing here is the primary, simple recipe, where you can alter and customize according to your diet and menu.
Tomato sauce vs. marinara sauce
The term Marinara sauce has limited to the basic pasta sauce. Which is typically prepared with tomato, olive oil, garlic, and basil. Whereas Tomato sauce is a broad term, it has multiple variations of making and numerous choices of ingredients.
Like in this Instant pot marinara sauce, Tomato sauce can be made with including marinara, meat, seafood, wine, and stock.
Why Instant pot for making marinara sauce?
- The Instant pot easily cuts down both time and effort. Using Instant pot is very efficient when talking about the time and the effort.
- Preparing is effortless and does not need a large saucepot.
- Cleaning is like a breeze. I have tried making the sauce with large saucepans and soup pots. But I will end up in cleaning the stove and the kitchen counter a lot more than I thought.
- No splatters. Since the sauce is cooked with the lids on, and no splatters even on the Instant pot lids.
- Saves time. In this homemade tomato sauce recipe, you can saute the tomatoes and set the timer. Usually, this process takes 20 minutes to cook time in the stovetop method. Where you need not keep an eye for the burnt bottom.
How to thicken the spicy marinara sauce
The sauce made with the ingredients listed for Instant pot marinara sauce will yield a perfect flowy consistency of the spicy sauce like this Cajun butter sauce. If you prefer a thick consistency, you may follow any of these simple ideas.
- When you plan to thicken the sauce in the Instant pot, leave the sauce in the inner stainless steel pot. And set the electric pressure cooker in the saute mode. And allow it to cook without the lids. This helps the moisture to evaporate and helps the sauce to thicken.
- If the sauce is too thin, and you do not have enough time to heat it. Then strain the excess water and cook it till it gets reduced. But beware, since you are straining up the juices, there is some possibility that the taste of the sauce will also get diluted. So plan accordingly.
- You may also add onion powder, garlic powder to thicken up.
- Add bread crumbs. This has the potential to change the consistency of the sauce.
- Add cheese and reheat. The cheese acts as the binding agent and brings the sauce together and stick to the pasta.
- Add corn starch or all-purpose flour diluted in the water and reheating.
Cooking With Pressure Cooker
This Italian marinara sauce can be made not only in Instant pot but in the pressure cooker as well. When using the pressure cooker, follow the same procedure as mentioned below until the step of sauteing. And allow the pressure cooker for one whistle in high flame, and then simmer the flame and cook for 5 minutes.
This spicy Instant pot marinara sauce is good to use for up to five days when refrigerated and can be used up to two months when frozen. Always use an airtight container for the best results.
The key ingredients
Onion. Onion and tomato are best buddies and never separable. Onion gives a creamy texture and mellow downs the tomato's tartness in this Instant pot marinara sauce. Sweet onion and yellow onion are my favorites when considering the marinara sauce.
Tomato. Ripe plum tomatoes turn this sauce unbelievably rich in color and a chunky texture. Roma tomatoes are the ultimate choice for this spicy marinara sauce recipe(If you don't have Roma tomatoes use plum tomatoes instead).
Basil. Dried basil, helps you maintain the flavor. Fresh basil leaves are also the best choice, but the dried one will not affect the taste though. When adding fresh basil, add then as finely chopped.
Oregano. The rule of basil applies to oregano completely. Use them as dry version or the fresh ones depending on the availability.
Red pepper flakes. This appends the heat and kicks to the sauce. Adjust the quantity to your personal choice. I always lean towards the weather, so I have added one teaspoon. And the heat hit my back of the throat, and I loved the way it is. So, add the red pepper flakes cautiously. Roasted red peppers are also a good substitute for the red pepper flakes.
Olive oil. I would say, olive oil brings out the Italian flavors, and blends the taste of tomato and herbs. If your pantry does not hold this currently, please stock them up before making this marinara sauce.
Diced tomatoes. You may also use the tomato paste, crushed tomato instead.
Red wine is also another classic variations. I have not added here in this recipe, but if you want to use red wine, add to the Instant pot after the garlic and before tomato.
How to make Spicy Marinara sauce in Instant pot
The setting of Instant pot. First set the Instant pot in saute mode.
Seasoning ingredients. Then add the olive oil and roughly chopped onion. Saute until the onion becomes soft and tender
Adding Tomatoes. Add roughly chopped tomatoes and sauce till the edges of the tomato become soft. Then add a can of diced tomatoes.
Choice of Herbs. Now add basil, oregano, red pepper flakes, and salt. Give a stir.
Set Instant pot. Close the lid, and set the timer to 5 minutes manually. Allow the pressure to release naturally.
Open the lid, check for the taste.
Use an immersion blender or the regular tabletop blender, pulse until the no visible chunks are seen.
And transfer to the airtight bottles and store.
Printable recipe card
Spicy marinara sauce
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion roughly chopped
- 2 cup tomato preferably Roma tomato
- 16 oz diced tomato canned
- ½ teaspoon basil dried
- ½ teaspoon oregano dried
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Set the Instant pot to saute mode.
- Add olive oil and onion.
- Saute until onion becomes soft and tender.
- Add tomato and saute until the edges of the tomato become soft.
- Add diced tomato, basil, oregano, red chili flake, and salt.
- Stir until they are combined well.
- Close the lid of the Instant Pot, and set the timer to cook for 10 minutes.
- Allow the steam to release naturally.
- Open the lid, and blend into a smooth sauce using a hand blender.
- Transfer to the airtight container.
It's so funny that you use the immersion blender to smooth out the sauce. I make homemade sauce and then put it in the blender and puree it so that there isn't a single lump. I'm like a kindergartner lol.
We served this spicy marinara with gnocchi and it was amazing! Thank you!
This sauce has such great flavor and it was so easy to make in my Instant Pot! Thanks!
This sounds so good! I love this spicy twist on a classic. I can't wait to make it.
Love that you use fresh ingredients in this marvelous spicy marinara sauce. It's a perfect sauce for pasta night.