These Pan-fried Potato Wedges is one of the delicious Indian potato recipes for dinner. Which can be served as appetizers or as the side dish for anything roti, rice, etc., this is my favorite because of its slight Chettinad twist.
When I was a kid, My mom, to keep me away from potatoes says, I will look like a potato if I grew up. But who bothers? I was grown up having a large percentage of potato as my food. Am I looking like a potato now? maybe slight..huh..sigh!! Nothing gets into my mind, I and potato are inseparable.
This Pan-fried Potato Wedges recipe, have the crispy, spicy, crunchy outside and soft and moist inside. I think everybody would love the flavors of pepper, cumin, and garlic. I made these as a side dish for the rice. But it can be served as a snack or appetizer along with sauces.
You may also look into other potato recipes like Aloo Jeera (Cumin Potato) if you are searching more potato recipes.
How this pan-fried potato wedge-Indian style recipe can be your favorite
- One of the easy Indian spiced potatoes recipe. Made with universally available ingredients but still with the amazing Indian aroma.
- The spices added in here are healthy and are high in nutrients.
- The pepper, garlic, cumin seeds give a punch to this recipe and also considered as a home remedy for many issues.
- The super simple finger food that you can make in minutes.
- Very versatile to serve as an appetizer, snack or side dish.
- Want to customize or alter the taste of the dish? Yes, of course. This recipe has more place for alteration to suit one’s choice.
What to pair with?
These are some of the best ideas to pair with Pan-fried Potato Wedges-Indian style. Do you need a reason for eating a potato? Not at all, potato can go into any form at any time. If it is made with right spices and in right taste, you can eat it with anything you name.
- Do you have a party or a potluck at home? Serve this Indian spiced potato wedges, and see them vanish in front of your eyes within a few minutes.
- Searching for a spiced snacking dish to fulfill your midday cravings? You may make this fresh or reheat the leftovers. Serve with tomato ketchup and feel its spiciness. Relax and enjoy.
- It is the best side dish to serve with rice, especially to the South Indian Rasam, Radish Sambar.
- I love to eat with my salad. Its crunchy texture adds another layer of flavor to my salad.
- For the toast, place this flat over the bread and top up with vegetables and serve. Indian spiced potato wedges toast is ready. This can turn into exotic brunch recipe.
How does this taste like?
These pan-fried potato wedges are hot, spicy, garlicky. The crispy outside and moist inside potato, are evenly coated with warm Indian spices. The cumin seeds in here are breathtaking which boost the flavors to the ultimate level. The peppercorns, cumin seeds, and garlic boosts and supports each other and plays perfectly in this recipe.
How to make Pan-fried Potato Wedges-Indian style
Grind the spices-For grinding, I would suggest using the mortar and pestle. Because the stone crushing makes the spices to burst out with the fragrance. This makes the spice more refreshing and tasty. Alternatively, you could also use spice jar or mixer grinder to do this work.
Cut the potatoes-For those who want to know how to cut potato wedges? First, you cut the potato into two in lengthwise. Then Cut them lengthwise into two equal parts. Further, cut down into two in lengthwise. Now, you have got equal 8 lengthwise pieces. How simple is that right?
Blanch the potato-Bring a pot 3 cups of water to a rolling boil. Add the potato wedges we made in the earlier step. Allow it to cook for 3-4 minutes. The potato should be cooked to 100% and should be firm and stiff when touched. This is the right texture we need for making Indian potato recipes -a side dish that tastes great.
Strain and transfer to a plate. And keep aside.
Heat the pan on-Heavy bottomed pan or skillet is a must to get the great results. If you want the wedges to a crispy outside and moist inside you need the right pan. Cast iron pan is the best, which I have one exclusively for making potato. The cast iron, spread the heat evenly, though out its surface. Hence you can cook the potato crispy without burning them.
Cooking oil-Add the cooking oil. You are welcome to use the regular cooking oil that you in the kitchen already. I love to use sunflower oil or peanut oil because these got their neutral flavor and will not affect the original taste of this Pan-fried Potato Wedges-Indian style adversely.
Combine-Now adds potato, salt, spices, and red chili powder. Combine gently, until the potato is coated with the spices evenly.
Cook– Cook them in low heat until the edges become crispy. Add the cooking oil in between, if the spices start sticking to the bottom of the pan.
Pan-fried Potato Wedges
- 4 Potatoes
- 3-4 tsp Cooking Oil
- 10 Curry Leaves
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Black Peppercorns
- Keep all the masala ingredients(from the table) ready.
- Cut the potatoes lengthwise and blanch(cooking in boiling water) it for 3min. Immediately drain the hot water(this prevents them from further cooking) and run it to normal water. Remove the potatoes and place it on a plate.
- Marinate the potatoes in the ground masala with salt for around 5-10 min.
- In a heavy bottomed pan(preferably cast iron), add oil, marinated potatoes and fry them in very slow flame for about 15-20 min by stirring them occasionally. Remove it from the fire once potatoes became crisp in the outer.
- Serve these Indian potato wedges, these are crazy as they are crispier outside and tender inside.
Do not forget to check out another side dish recipe for rice, Try Bitter gourd with Tomato fry, here in PepperBowl.
1. Serving with rice would be the best option. But serving as a tea time snack or as an appetizer is not also a bad idea.
Tips and Variations:
1. Always prefer to go for the potato verify which is good for frying. Here I went with Idaho large sized potatoes.
2. Leaving longer in the low flame helps to achieve crispier and stiff potatoes.