This Pan-fried Potato wedge is one of the delicious Indian potato recipes for dinner. Which can be served as appetizers or as the side dish for anything roti, rice, etc., this is my favorite because of its slight Chettinad twist.
When I was a kid, My mom, to keep me away from potatoes says, I will look like a potato if I grew up. But who bothers? I was grown up having a large percentage of potatoes as my food. Am I looking like a potato now? maybe slight..huh..sigh!! Nothing gets into my mind, I and potato are inseparable.
This Pan-fried Potato Wedges recipe, have the crispy, spicy, crunchy outside, and soft and moist inside. I think everybody would love the flavors of pepper, cumin, and garlic. I made these as a side dish for the rice. But it can be served as a snack or appetizer along with sauces.
You may also look into other potato recipes like Aloo Jeera (Cumin Potato) if you are searching more potato recipes.
How this pan-fried potato wedge-Indian style recipe can be your favorite
- One of the easy Indian spiced potatoes recipe. Made with universally available ingredients but still with the amazing Indian aroma.
- The spices added here are healthy and are high in nutrients.
- The pepper, garlic, cumin seeds give a punch to this recipe and also considered as a home remedy for many issues.
- The super-simple finger food that you can make in minutes.
- Very versatile to serve as an appetizer, snack, or side dish.
- Want to customize or alter the taste of the dish? Yes, of course. This recipe has more place for alteration to suit one’s choice.
What to pair with?
These are some of the best ideas to pair with Pan-fried Potato Wedges-Indian style. Do you need a reason for eating a potato? Not at all, potato can go into any form at any time. If it is made with the right spices and in the right taste, you can eat it with anything you name.
- Do you have a party or a potluck at home? Serve these Indian spiced potato wedges, and see them vanish in front of your eyes within a few minutes.
- Searching for a spiced snacking dish to fulfill your midday cravings? You may make this fresh or reheat the leftovers. Serve with tomato ketchup and feel its spiciness. Relax and enjoy.
- It is the best side dish to serve with rice, especially to the South Indian Rasam, Radish Sambar.
- I love to eat with my salad. Its crunchy texture adds another layer of flavor to my salad.
- For the toast, place this flat over the bread and top up with vegetables and serve. Indian spiced potato wedges toast is ready. This can turn into an exotic brunch recipe.
How does this taste like?
These pan-fried potato wedges are hot, spicy, garlicky. The crispy outside and moist inside potato, are evenly coated with warm Indian spices. The cumin seeds here are breathtaking which boosts the flavors to the ultimate level. The peppercorns, cumin seeds, and garlic boosts and supports each other and plays perfectly in this recipe.
How to make Pan-fried Potato Wedges-Indian style
Grind the spices-For grinding, I would suggest using the mortar and pestle. Because the stone crushing makes the spices burst out with the fragrance. This makes the spice more refreshing and tasty. Alternatively, you could also use a spice jar or mixer grinder to do this work.
Cut the potatoes-For those who want to know how to cut potato wedges? First, you cut the potato into two lengthwise. Then cut them lengthwise into two equal parts. Further, cut down into two lengthwise. Now, you have got an equal of 8 lengthwise pieces. How simple is that right?
Blanch the potato-Bring a pot of 3 cups of water to a rolling boil. Add the potato wedges we made in the earlier step. Allow it to cook for 3-4 minutes. The potato should be cooked to 100% and should be firm and stiff when touched. This is the right texture we need for making Indian potato recipes -a side dish that tastes great.
Strain and transfer to a plate. And keep aside.
Heat the pan on. A heavy-bottomed pan or skillet is a must to get great results. If you want the wedges to a crispy outside and moist inside you need the right pan.
Cast iron pan is the best, which I have one exclusively for making potatoes. The cast iron, spread the heat evenly, though out its surface. Hence you can cook the potato crispy without burning them.
Cooking oil. Add the cooking oil. You are welcome to use the regular cooking oil that you in the kitchen already. I love to use sunflower oil or peanut oil because these got their neutral flavor and will not affect the original taste of this Pan-fried Potato Wedges-Indian style adversely.
Combine. Now add potato, salt, spices, and red chili powder. Combine gently, until the potato is coated with the spices evenly.
Cook. Cook them in low heat until the edges become crispy. Add the cooking oil in between, if the spices start sticking to the bottom of the pan.
Other appetizer recipes you may like
- Potato cutlet Recipe
- Indian cauliflower fry
- Crispy baked eggplant
- Cajun Breakfast Cups
- Spicy appetizer recipes
Printable recipe card
Pan-fried Potato Wedges
- 4 potatoes
- 10 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon whole black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic
- 10 curry leaves
- ¼ teaspoon salt
For shallow frying
- 3-4 teaspoon vegetable oil
- To a blender jar, add cumin seeds, black pepper, garlic, curry leaves, and salt.
- Grind it to a coarse powder. And set aside.
Blanching the potato
- Peel and cut the potatoes into lengthwise wedges.
- Over high heat, place a saucepot and add water and salt. Bring it to rolling boil.
- Add potato wedges and cook for 3 minutes or until it is ¾th done.
- Discard the water and remove the wedges using a slotted spoon and drain well.
- To the mixing bowl, add the cooked potato wedges and the ground spice mixture.
- Toss it gently until the wedges are coated evenly with the spices. And set aside for 15 minutes.
For shallow frying
- Over medium heat, in a heavy-bottomed pan(preferably cast iron), add vegetable oil, marinated potatoes.
- Then turn to low heat and shallow fry them 20 minutes by gently stirring them occasionally.
- Remove it from the fire once potatoes became crisp in the outer.
- Serve these spicy potato wedges, these are crispy outside and tender inside.
Do not forget to check out another side dish recipe for rice, Try Bitter gourd with Tomato fry, here in PepperBowl.
1. Serving with rice would be the best option. But serving as a tea-time snack or as an appetizer is not also a bad idea.
Tips and Variations:
1. Always prefer to go for the potato verify which is good for frying. Here I went with Idaho large-sized potatoes.
2. Leaving longer in the low flame helps to achieve crispier and stiff potatoes.