This Mango Pappu /mango dal with steamed rice, potato fry, pickles is the best combo. This recipe is little tangier and no need to add tomatoes or tamarind, as mango has to gots its sourness.
I went with frozen mangoes, as Indian raw mangoes are not available here. But frozen mangoes to provide the same taste and flavor and I'm quite happy with it.
Mango's unique interesting flavor beautifully enhances this recipe. Lentils / Dal / Pappu / Paruppu is rich protein content and rich in folic acid. We loved its mashed up the texture and everybody would love who doesn't want to feel the chunks while eating.
This Mango Pappu Recipe is best with steamed rice, and the leftover can also be served as a side for Chapathies along with pickle.
Do Check out this Pineapple rasam recipe also, which makes another combo with the rice.
Looking for other Andhra Recipe, do check tomato Pappu(Lentils with Tomato), another great recipe to be served with rice.
This Mango Pappu is my family's all-time favorite recipe. It's a huge hit in our family not only because of its taste and color but also because of a friendship tied back with this recipe.
It was introduced to us by one of our beloved family friends from Andhra, We all always overwhelmed with their hospitality, their kind-heartedness.
It may sound funny but really this Mamidikkaya Pappu reflects me their happy faces. Food served with lots of affection will double up their taste too right?
How to make Mango pappu
1. Prep all the ingredients, and chop them all well. Slit green chilies if you do not prefer its hotness, otherwise, you can chop them.
2. Pressure cook Toor dal with 1 Cup of water to the mashed up consistency.
3. For seasoning, heat oil in the pan add mustard seeds, urad dal, asafoetida and wait for the mustard to get splutter. Then add chopped onion and fry it till it becomes pink. Add green chilies, chopped garlic, and chopped mango and saute them for 1 min in high flame.
4. Add this season to the cooked and mashed dal. Close the pressure cooker lid and cook it again for a whistle or till everything blends together.
5. Once the pressure cooker steam released, remove the lid and serve Andhra Mango Dal hot with the hot steamed rice along with pickles.
Other recipes you may like,
- Gobi Manchurian
- How to make Rasam
- Onion pakoda
- What is paneer tikka masala
- Indian side dish recipes
- Over medium heat, in the same pressure cooker pan, add vegetable oil, black mustard seeds, urad dal, and asafoetida.
- Wait for the mustard to get splutter. Then add chopped onion and fry it till it becomes pink.
- Add green chilies, chopped garlic, and chopped mango.
- and saute them for 1 min in high heat.
- Then add toor dal, turmeric powder, and water.
- Close the pressure cooker lid and seal the vent.
- Cook for 1 whistle in the medium heat and 12 minutes in low heat.
- Allow the pressure to release naturally. Normally this would take 10 minutes of waiting time.
- Then remove the lid and add salt.
- Gently mash the dal with wooden ladle. And serve with rice.
Tips and Variations for Mango Pappu:
Mangoes can be substituted with frozen mangoes.
Make this thicker or thinner by adjusting the water quantity.