Indian Prawn fry recipe, super easy to make with minimal ingredients. Before moving on to the recipe, Do you know, that the Prawns can swim backward? I could see your raising eyebrows.
It is true, as it does not have fins like other fishes. Coming to this Indian style prawn fry recipe, it is easy and can be made in a jiffy. It is hot and dry, best to be served as a side dish for rice or as an appetizer.
Prawns belong to the Shrimp family. These verities are available in India. These have large heads which are equivalent to their body size.
While cleaning watch out their sharp heads and the tails. Always devein them, as it does not taste good, and also it may hurt your stomach.
It is a hectic task, to peal, clean and deveins prawns. My family strongly believes that the small verity of prawns tastes good for the recipes. But the burden of cleaning absolutely falls on our shoulders.
Do you wonder why I am exaggerating this cleaning task? yeah, Its a true statement of mine, deveining the smaller verities definitely a tougher job.
The tougher jobs undoubtedly yield better results. All the pain of cleaning and deveining gets vanishes when we get appreciations. I love to have this stir fry along with my Radish Sambar rice.
Prawns get cooked easily, so saute them in medium flame. Very high flame cooking, makes the outer skin to be very tougher.
If you cannot bear the heat of the red chili powder, substitute half of the amount with coriander powder.
Here in the United States, I usually make this spicy Indian prawn fry recipe with deveined, tail off, raw gulf shrimps. I feel it tastes similar to the Indian prawns.
You may also substitute the prawn with shrimp.
How to make Indian prawn fry
1. Carefully remove the outer skin, head, a vein from the prawns. Clean, wash and devein them.
2. Heat oil in the pan, add fennel seeds. Once the fennel seeds slightly change its color, add chopped onion and chopped garlic. In the medium flame, continue to saute them till onion turns soft.
3. Add prawns, salt and red chili powder. In the medium flame, continue cooking by stirring them occasionally. If they get sticks at the bottom of the pan, then add another teaspoon of cooking oil, to ease the frying. Cook it till prawns become stiffer and little crispy.
4. Remove it from the fire and transfer it to the serving bowl.
Serving with Rasam would be the best option I have seen so far.
Other seafood recipes you may like,
- Hawaiian spicy garlic shrimp
- How to reheat shrimp
- Chettinad shrimp
- Indian prawn fry
- Spicy seafood recipes
Indian prawn fry
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- ¼ cup onion Chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic Chopped
- 1 cup prawns deviened and cleaned
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt or as required
- Over medium heat, place a pan. Add vegetable oil and fennel seeds.
- Once the fennel seeds slightly changes its color, add chopped onion and chopped garlic.
- Saute until onion turns soft and tender.
- Then add prawns, red chili powder, and salt.
- Cook it till prawn is done thoroughly.
- Remove it from the heat and serve with rice.
Serve along with Sambar rice, Rasam Rice or as an appetizer.
Tips and Variations Prawn Stir Fry:
1. Onion can also be omitted in this recipe.
2. Care needs to be taken while adding salt to the dish, as overpowering salt can destroy the prawns.
3. If you are making this recipe with the shrimps. Remove from the fire, as soon as they get cooked.
Have you checked another chicken recipe of Madurai.