This Chinese Jalapeno chicken is a simple and flavorful food ready in a flash! The jalapeno and the sauce coats the chicken perfectly makes it the best Chinese chicken dish you have never made before.
Usually chicken is deep-fried for this recipe, but we have made it skinny by using a teaspoon of vegetable oil. Another fusion recipe with Chinese style food with Mexican ingredient Jalapeno.
Made with simple pantry staple ingredients, like soy sauce, corn starch, and rice wine vinegar. If you love Chinese takeouts, I would suggest you invest in these ingredients.
They last longer in the kitchen counter and becomes a base for numerous Chinese recipes. Furthermore, they are cost each a couple of dollars but could save your wallet for sure.
If you are looking for a super quick dinner recipe, try this Teriyaki chicken with bottled sauce.
How spicy is this Chinese jalapeno chicken?
Everyone's heat tolerance is different, What someone finds bland may be too spicy for others. But when we make on our own, we know each of our family members' requisitions.
The recipe is very much adaptable to a spicy or nonspicy version. Both the version is extremely delicious, as the main focus is to infuse the chicken with the jalapeno flavors. And the heat from the pepper is secondary.
Heat and the flavor of this pepper are two different factors in here. We can have both heat and flavors or just the flavor alone. Dive deep into the recipe to know how to do it.
Other chicken recipes
- Chinese garlic chicken
- Spicy Szechuan chicken
- Spicy garlic lime chicken
- Pan fried garlic chicken
- Broccoli stuffed chicken breast
Chicken. I always use chicken tenderloins or breasts, since its a lean meat. Thigh meat also performs well in the Chinese jalapeno chicken recipe. Cut them into bite-sized cubes.
Cornstarch. It is universal ingredients and available in all the grocery stores in their baking aisle. I strongly recommend using this ingredient. It makes the sauce thicker and coats evenly the chicken. However, you may substitute with tapioca starch in this Asian jalapeno chicken.
Soy sauce. There are two versions available in the market, light, and dark. Light soy sauce is with less sodium than the dark one. Some American palates find the sauce as salty. I would recommend using half the quantity of soy sauce first, taste, and increase the quantity.
For the acid. Rice wine vinegar is the best in here, gives an authentic Chinese flavor. A teaspoon will work wonder.
Compensating the heat with sweet. When it comes to balancing the jalapeno heat, brown sugar is an excellent ingredient. I vote for light brown sugar because it gives a bright golden brown glaze to the chicken. However, you may substitute with honey-the close alternative.
For the flavor. Other than garlic, what else we can think of when coming to flavors. Garlic brings vibrant and rich flavors. Plus it gives finger-licking tastes when combining with brown sugar and soy sauce. Mince for bountiful of aroma.
For the heat. Jalapeno is the only heat source in here. Deseed them according to your preference. And slice them. New to peppers? make sure you wear gloves to avoid any irritations.
How to make Chinese jalapeno chicken?
This Asian style chicken recipe is quick and straightforward.
Prepare the chicken. In a bowl, add bite-sized chicken cubes and corn starch. Combine well until chicken coated well with corn starch. Set Aside.
Make the sauce. In a small mixing bowl, add soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, brown sugar, and jalapeno slices. And set aside.
Seasoning. Over high heat place a pan. Add vegetable oil, chicken cubes, and garlic.
Saute. Saute until chicken cubes are completely done in the center. And the over surface becomes golden brown.
Stir the sauce. Add in the sauce and stir fry until the chicken is coated well with the sauce. This may take a minute.
Serve. Serve hot with brown rice.
Best to serve with?
- To make a complete Chinese meal with rich flavors, serve with hibachi soup and Szechuan fried rice.
- Simple brown rice or white rice is a perfect option for the weeknight dinner.
- Quinoa is another healthier swap for the plain rice.
- Want to try something totally new, try wrapping this Chinese chicken with tortilla wrap-which is divine for my son.
If you are making for a party or want to make your dinner quickly. Make the chicken and the sauce. And store them separately. Toss them just before serving. This process will not take more than 5 minutes.
Serve up the whole family with their favorite restaurant-style food effortlessly in the convenience of your home.
Storing. This Chinese jalapeno chicken is freezer and refrigerator friendly. Store the leftover in the airtight containers. This chicken is good up to 2 months when frozen and up to 4 days when refrigerated.
Microwave. Thaw the chicken to the room temperature. Then microwave for 2-3 minutes by stirring in between.
Stovetop. Over medium heat, place a pan. Add the leftover chicken and water(¼th quantity of chicken). Close it with a lid. And reheat it until the chicken is done completely. Add water if needed.
- Keto. To make this recipe Keto complaint, skip using the corn starch. Corn starch will not adversely affect the taste of the final dish.
- Vegan and vegetarian. Substitute chicken with cauliflower florets and roast following the same procedure as chicken.
- Add more vegetables. For the crunchy texture, add broccoli. watercress, or celery.
- Roasted sesame oil. Use instead of vegetable oil for authentic punch.
- Other peppers. If you do not have jalapenos handy, you may use other chili pepper-like, habanero, serrano, or others.
- Thicken the sauce. Dilute cornstarch in soy sauce for a thick glazing sauce.
- Spice it up. Add sriracha sauce or chili garlic sauce for more punch.
Recommended tools to make this recipe
Large pan. To master the art of stir-frying chicken and jalapenos. These are easy and convenient.
Sharp Knife. For chopping the succulent chicken and fresh, spicy jalapenos.
Large Mixing bowl. To allow the chicken to bathe in the rich, flavorful marinade. Or any handy bowls will work too.
Printable recipe card
Chinese Jalapeno Chicken
- Cut chicken into bite-sized cubes.
- In a mixing bowl, add chicken chicken, corn starch, and minced garlic. And set aside.
- In another small mixing bowl, add soy sauce, chili garlic sauce, brown sugar, and jalapeno slices. Combine well and set aside.
- Over high heat, place a heavy-bottomed pan. And add vegetable oil.
- Add chicken and cook until it is done completely.
- Now stir in the sauce and saute for a minute until the sauce coats the chicken well.
- Remove from heat and serve with rice.