The grilled veggie sandwich is a healthy and quick recipe made with onion, tomato, cucumber, and avocado. Perfect for all day, including breakfast, lunch, and dinner. A simple dairy-free, vegan, and vegetarian recipe.
Would you ever deny a delightful request from your loved ones? This 'grilled veggie sandwich' popped up today on my blog after one such request.
My brother was complaining about not finding notable quotes for him anywhere here in my blog. I thought this recipe would be the perfect choice to calm him.
Yes, It's my brother's favorite. And he always wishes me to make these veggie sandwiches for him.
Brother, how can I ever forget our playtime, study time? You are the one who stood as the shield to protect me all the time.
You are the one, to get into all trouble for all the naughty childhood mistakes I make. Those are happy, enjoyable, memorable moments still fresh in my thoughts.
As far as this grilled veggie sandwich is concerned, We keep our boundary not only for breakfast but also extend beyond that, all the time and anytime.
This recipe may be very simple but topping up with chili sauce, and tomato ketchup, does bring out different flavors every time we make it.
Interested to check out other healthy breakfast options? Do look into the Coriander Bread Sandwich.
Why a grilled veggie sandwich?
The tags like dairy-free or vegan do not mean that it has to be flavor-free or dull. The vegan dairy-free recipes can be turned into effortlessly bright, refreshing, and energetic dishes.
Proper planning and selecting ingredients are the main factors in deciding whether the dish is fresh or dull. And has nothing to do with the label of dairy-free or vegan.
This grilled veggie sandwich comes together in about 15 minutes from scratch. It is still a vibrant, creamy, and satisfying all-day breakfast dish.
Any vegetable is great to add to this recipe. My choices are but not limited to the onion, bell peppers, tomatoes, avocados, and zucchini. The zucchini in the mushrooms is also great for making this grilled veggie sandwich recipe.
You do not need to go out for grilling in the chilling weather like this. Vegetables can be cooked very quickly when grilled. You can enjoy refreshing grilled vegetables still with the comfort of sitting inside the home.
Avocado is a healthy substitute for cheese in vegan. Opting for a vegan is not meant to compromise on the taste, and this grilled veggie sandwich recipe is proof to support this statement.
Layering the sandwich
We can divide the grilled veggie sandwich layers into two. The first one is grilled vegetables, and the second is fresh vegetables.
- Onion and bell pepper add texture to the sandwich and should always be kept as a basic layer. Grilled zucchini can be added next to two onions and bell pepper. Tomatoes become soft and tender after grilling, so it is best to be on top of grilled vegetables.
- Cucumbers can be eaten raw and should be kept on top of all the ingredients. It has a neutral taste, and it balances all the other flavors. And in addition, it adds rich crunchy to the dish. And it's also an essential cool ingredient to start the day brightly.
We are making a standalone vegan grilled veggie sandwich that does not need any cheese or mayo substitutions. For this recipe, I don't prefer using them at all as this itself is wholesome and creamy. And I bet you will not need cheese substitutes to make it richer. If you still need any, opt for vegan mayo or vegan cheese.
The choice of bread depends on the choice of your preference for this grilled veggie sandwich. You may also use white, multigrain, honey wheat, crusty French or Italian bread.
I always go with the honey wheat bread as the texture is between the white and the whole wheat bread. Generally, I don't prefer whole wheat bread to make this because it is not firm enough to hold the weight of the vegetables.
Marination for the grilled veggie sandwich
Cut all the vegetables and transfer to a ziplock bag with the extra virgin olive oil, dried oregano, and salt for about 1 hour in the refrigerator. Rich olive oil and oregano flavors will infuse the vegetables and taste extremely delicious when they get grilled. This margination makes the flavors outstanding and tempting. I recommend marinating for at least 15 minutes to 1 hour before grilling.
How do you store the leftovers?
Store the leftover vegetables in a zip-lock bag or an airtight container and refrigerate. This stays good for a week. And to reuse, you reheat in the pan on the stovetop. And you may add fresh slices of cucumber, avocado, or a pickle and relish.
Tips for grilling
- You may use a stovetop griller pan, a portable griller, or a regular griller.
- Vegetables have a different texture and different cooking times. So, the time to grill also varies for each vegetable. Vegetables like zucchini or tomatoes will cook faster than asparagus or eggplant.
- You do not need to be accurate while grilling. The sandwich will be more flavorful even if the vegetables are not done thoroughly.
- You can arrange all the slices of vegetables over the grill and cook them simultaneously. For the first few minutes, cook at a high temperature. Once you start seeing the grill marks, then you may cook at a medium temperature. You can remove the vegetables when they change their color.
Other spicy dinner recipes
- Coriander Bread Sandwich
- Cottage cheese sandwich
- Grilled veggie sandwich
- Spicy dinner ideas
- Onion kulcha recipe
Printable recipe card
Grilled veggie sandwich
- 4 slices onion
- 4 slices tomato
- 4 slices zucchini
- 4 slices cucumber
- 4 slices green pepper
- ½ avocado
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon oregano dried
- ⅙ teaspoon salt or as required
- 4 slices bread
- Slice onion, tomato, zucchini, cucumber, green pepper, avocado evenly.
- In a ziplock bag, add extra virgin olive oil, oregano, salt, and all the vegetables except avocado. Rest it for 5 minutes.
- Grill all the vegetables.
- Grill the bread on both the sides.
- Start stacking the grilled veggies over a slice of bread in the order of onion, bell pepper, zucchini, tomato, cucumber, avocado and end with the bread.
- Serve hot with Tomato Ketchup or mustard sauce.
Serve along with fresh fruit salad or fresh juice. Ketchup, the mustard sauce would be the best to serve with.
Tips and Variations:
The vegetables can vary from mushrooms, bell peppers/capsicum, tomato, cucumber, zucchini. etc.