Not all the ‘Veg Biryani Recipe’ are same in India. They are unique in every home, restaurant and even every state they differs. The biryani takes a new avatar according to the cuisine and the ingredients which are locally available. For instance, Malabar biryani and Chettinad Biryani uses coconut milk as an main ingredient, while Culcutta Biryani uses Rose water.
Biryani Origination and History: Though the Original Biryani(meat version) has various theories associated with its origination. To sum them up here,
- It was created in Mughal kitchen incorporating Persian Pilaf with Indian spices.
- It arrived to India from Persian states from various routes.
- The internal trade between these two regions created this unique recipe.
- The next theory claims that the King Timur brought this recipe to India after his invasion.
- But another theory says that Biryani was in India even before the Mughal’s kingdom.
- Similar version of Biryani, ‘Oon Soru’ was mentioned in the Tamil Literature in second century.
What is Veg Biryani? Veg Biryani Recipe / Vegetable Biryani is a one pot rice made with exclusive spices, along with vegetables. Spices and other ingredients varies according to the region it is originated from and according to the exclusive ingredients added to the recipe.
Veg Biryani Recipe Origination and History: 40% of the Indian population are vegetarians. So, the people discovered and customized the Biryani to the vegetarian version. It is prepared by following the same procedure of the original meat version of Biryani. But vegetables will be substituted with the meat.
The Verities of Veg Biryani Recipe:
The varieties varies.
- According to the region they are made:
Hyderabadi Biryani, Chettinad Biryani, Ambur Biryani, Lucknowi Biryani, Culcutta Biryani, Bombay Biryani, Punjabi Biryani..
- According to the ingredients added to it
Mushroom Biryani, Potato Biryani, Methi Biryani, Paneer Biryani, Chole Biryani, Soya Biryani…
- The Processing method
- Dum Biryani: In this method, the pot is sealed and allow to cook on very slow fire.
- Pakka: In this method, the masala in cooked separately and then they are added to the rice.
- Kaccha: In this method, they add all the raw ingredients.
To classify them according to the region, there are many like:
Along with every type of Biryani, We see some important tips for making each Biryani..
Hyderabadi Biryani Recipe: The special about Hyderbadi Biryani is the method of cooking. They make layers of semi cooked rice and the vegetable masala. Generally not more than 4 layers. It uses fried onions a lot in making and as well as in garnishing. And they also do dum, when the rice is 90% done, the pot will be sealed and allowed to cook further with the insulated steam. It mainly uses Basmati rice. The most famous side dish for this dish are Mirchi Ka salan(Green Chili Gravy), Onion ka Salan(Onion Gravy). Find the recipe here.
Chettinad Biryani: Chettinad Veg Biryani Recipe is known for its spiciness. Mostly cooked with coconut milk, with Jeera rice(loally called Seeraga Samba rice ). Tomatoes are added for sourness. The coconut milk in this recipe, adds rich flavor and texture to Biryani. Another unique ingredient added to Biryani is curry leaves. And it generally served along with onion raitha..
Ambur Biryani: Ambur Biryani served with Dalcha, Brinjal gravy and raitha. Usually made with Basmati rice/seeraga samba rice. Uniqueness of Ambur Biryani, they use curd for making and also it inherited the methods of both hyderabdi and Chettinad Biryani.
Mughlai Biryani: These are most popular in northern states like Delhi. Where it is a perfect combination of beautiful flavor, spicier and perfectly cooked rice.
Lucknowi Biryani: It also called as Awadhi Biryani, specially known for its less spicier but aromatic. Usually made with Basmati rice. Its a lighter version of Mughlai Biryani. They follow layering method for making Biryani.
Culcutta Biryani: They are unique with includes potato, rose water and raisins. Served with raitha.
BombayBiryani: Bombay Biryani is the sweeter version of Mughlai Biryani.
Malabar Biryani: Made with coconut milk, and less spicier and very flavorful. Specially made with the khaima rice(jeeraka sala). Which are smaller than Basmati rice but has a unique flavor.
Ingredients based Veg Biryani Recipe:
The ingredient based biryanis can be cooked following any of the region based types of biryani. Like Mushroom Biryani can be made with Hyderbadi version, Chettinad version or punjabi version. Everything tastes extremely well, so try experimenting with different cuisines and different vegetables. Which makes it unique and different every time you make and serve.
- Mushroom Biryani…Mushroom are delegate, Wash multiple times to remove any impurities. Washing in running water would help more. Do not soak in water for longer time. Marinate with the masalas for about 15-20 minutes helps them to absorb more spices and flavors.
- Potato Biryani…Another versatile ingredients and does not fit into any rules and regulations. It tastes good, if it is boiled and fried before adding to the rice. I would advise to avoid adding boiled potatoes as it may makes the Biryani bland. However, you may add it if you prefer less spicier versions.
- Paneer Biryani.. Marinate paneer for about 15-20 minutes would make it more tasty and flavorful. Then shallow fry it in the oil, until it turns golden brown in color. And add it to the Biryani, at the final stages of processing. The marination need not be fancy ingredients but could be as simple as salt, chili powder and lemon juice.
- Chole Biryani.. Soak the chole/chickpea overnight. Soaking could help us avoid any gastric problems. Then cook it in the medium flame to make it cook completely still retains its shape and texture. Add salt while cooking, as adding salt in the later stages would not help much. Use pressure cooker or slow cooker to cook.
- Rajma Biryani….Tips for making Rajma Biryani could be same as Chole Biryani.
- Peas Biryani..Either frozen peas or fresh peas can be used. Peas tends to cook very easily, so add it torecipe while adding rice or just before.
Selecting Vegetables for Biryani: Any vegetable would work for Biryani except watery vegetables. Vegetables like, cauliflower, peas, beans, carrots, potato, chickpea, mushroom, paneer. You can add any of these or any combinations of these vegetables.
Selecting the Spices: Cloves, Cinnamon, Bay leaves, Star Anese, Nutmeg, Cardamom, Black Cardamom, Fennel seeds are the important spices added for Biryani. Each of these ingredients have unique flavor and taste.
Refer your recipe for using these ingredients. If you are beginner and do not want to take much risk, then use only Clove and cinnamon, these two ingredients alone can bring beautiful flavors.
Alternatively you can also use Ready made Biryani masala available in the stores.
Expert tips for Veg Biryani Recipe:
For perfect long grained Biryani:
- Basmati rice is good for making any kind of Biryani.
- Buying a good quality basmati rice always ensures long grained Biryani
- Wash 2-3 times the rice.
- Make sure wash the rice before soaking it. Tip: Washing after soaking the rice will take away the rice’s unique flavor.
- Soak the rice for 20-25 minutes.
- Add water in the proportion of 1:2 ratio. (if 1 Cup of rice, then 2 Cups of water)
- Add the rice once the water starts boiling.
- Allow to cook until 80% of water evaporates, at this stage the rice should have doubles its size and cooked to 80%
- Simmer the flame, cover the lid and cook it for 10 mins / Seal it ‘dum’ it for 10 mins.
- Let is cooled down for 15 minutes, then open the lid and Serve very hot.
Selecting cooking method: You can use stove top method, pressure cooker method or ‘Dum’ method. The process and procedure is the same until 90% of the cooking.
For Stove top method:
- Once 80% of the rice done(and with 20% of remaining water), close it with the lid. Simmer the flame, allow it to cook for 10 mins.
- Leave it untouched for about another 10 minutes
- And serve hot.
For Pressure Cooker Method:
Assuming that you are using pressure cooker from the first stage of Biryani.
- Once 80% of the rice done(and with 20% of remaining water), close the pressure cooker’s lid.
- Simmer the flame.
- Cook it for 10 mins or until it gives out a long whistle.
- Remove it from the fire.
- Allow it to cooled down for around 10 minutes.
- Open pressure cooker lid and Serve hot.
For Easier ‘Dum’ Method:
- Use dough to seal the edges.
- Or Use aluminium foil for sealing.
- Use iron skillet/pan in between pan and the fire for Dum(the period of last 10 minutes in simmer flame)
- Use oven for dum. Keep it in the preheated oven at 350°F for 10 minutes.
Adjusting the taste.
- Add salt when the rice is getting cooked half way through. This way you can very well judge the amount of salt.
- If you feel it is little saltier, then add raw potato cubes. It could takes away little saltiness.
- Add salt to the raitha, after tasting cooked Biryani. (If the Biryani is little saltier, add lesser salt to the raitha and vice versa)
- Serve lemon slices.
Veg Biryani Recipe, simple and super quick version(best suitable for bachelors and the students):
I have tried to minimise the ingredient list, and I tried to minimise the process as little as possible.
Veg Biryani Recipes - A complete Guide with Expert Tips
- cup Rice - 1 any rice
- Cloves - 4
- Cinnamon - 1 Stick
- Onion - 1
- Tomato - 1
- tsp Ginger Garlic Paste - 1
- Cup Vegetable - 1 frozen cut vegetables would also work fine
- tsp Chili powder - 1
- tsp Garam masala - 1/4
- tsp Turmeric Powder - 1/6
- tsp Ghee - 2
- tbsp Cooking Oil - 5
- Leaves Fresh Coriander / Mint Leaves - 2 tbsp optional and depends upon its availability in the your pantry
In the medium flame heat the pan add 1 tsp of ghee, followed by cloves, cinnamon stick.
Once it starts slightly changing it's color , add sliced onion and saute in medium flame until it becomes soft and translucent.
Add ginger garlic paste and saute for a for few seconds.
Add chopped tomato, continue to saute it until tomatoes turns mushy. (Tip: Add 1/4 tsp of salt to perfectly turn tomato mushy).
Add chopped vegetables, saute for a minute.
Add chili powder, Turmeric powder, garam masala and saute for a minute.
Add 2 cups of water.
And add 1 tsp or salt or as required. (Tip: Add lesser salt which can be later adjusted.)
Bring it to rolling boil.
Add washed and cleaned rice.
In the medium flame cook the rice. Once the rice doubles and 85% of the water evaporates like in this picture. Seal it with aluminium foil. Simmer the flame completely, and cook it further for 8-10 minutes.
Wait for 10 minutes, open the foil and serve hot. Cucumber raitha will be the best combo with this simple Veg Biryani Recipe.