Today, we will discuss the luxurious and traditional Indian drink-Badam milk recipe. This Indian-style almond milkshake is made with milk, almonds, cardamom, saffron strands, and sugar.
This Indian milkshake recipe bursts with bright yellow colors for the plush ingredient saffron.
It will make you linger over its creamy milk, with a few crunchy nuts, and the mild flavor of cardamom.
This Badam Milk recipe is straightforward that anyone can make. If you have no experience in the kitchen, you can nail it like a professional Indian chef.
Being a mom, I let you know the secret. This is the best recipe to encourage the children to help you in the kitchen. They love to assist you as they get their sweet reward.
Writing this post makes me feel nostalgic memories are rewinding to my childhood days. Before the corporate colas occupy the market in India, this is one of the healthy drinks available in the stores.
These are the healthy and tasty thirst quenchers the parents love to get for their children without inhibitions.
After settling in the United States for a long time, I still cannot forget this badam milk recipe.
And my eyes unknowingly search for this type of cold drink, whenever I enter the gas station stores after a long drive.
To my surprise, these are not available in our Indian stores as well. So, the only available option is to make it at home. You can also chill and rest back as its recipe requires several common Indian ingredients.
Do not worry even if your kitchen is not with these ingredients. We will discuss its possible substitutions in the following.
What is Badam Milk?
Badam is the Indian name for Almonds. And so, badam milk is a milkshake made with almond paste. This full-filling drink is called Kesar badam milk, where Kesar means saffron. It is an authentic recipe of India for centuries.
A refreshing drink, almonds, and milk provide instant energy in the dehydrating summertime.
This badam milk recipe is locally called 'Badam doodh' in Hindi and 'Badam paal' in Tamil. This is an authentic Indian recipe and should not be confused with Almond milk dairy substitution.
Other drinks to try,
Printable recipe card
Badam milk recipe
Ingredients for soaking
- ½ cup Badam /Almonds
- 1 cup water
- 16 saffron strands
- ⅙ cup milk
- 4 cups Milk
- 8 teaspoon sugar or as required
- Soak badam for about 2 hours.
- Soak saffron strands in lukewarm milk for about 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Reserve the water and remove the skin of almond.
- In a blender add the reserved water and almonds.
- The grind to a smooth silky paste with a blender.
- Combine the almond paste to the milk.
- Bring milk to boil.
- Lower the heat and cook it in the medium flame, until badam cooked and combined well in the milk.
- Add saffron soaked milk and sugar to the boiling mixture.
- Switch off the heat and serve hot or chilled
shavings of the nuts, as it may choke them
How does it taste like?
Badam milk recipe yields a sweet, creamy, rich, and thick milkshake with the subtle flavor of cardamom and saffron. This can be consumed as hot or cold, depending on the time and season of serving.
While reading this post, are you guessing this drink tastes like smoothies? You are wrong? There is an enormous difference between shakes and this badam drink. The people who do not love dairy will love this badam drink. This recipe definitely will not disappoint you.
This adaptable drink can be served as a hot or cold drink. In India, it is served as cold in the daytime. And as hot in the night time. But there is no strict rule and choice.
As an addition, if you want to impress someone with the food, but have time constraints in the kitchen. This badam milk recipe is for you; I cannot express how easy and healthy it is(besides the sugar part).
The best welcome drink for a party. I thought this would make all the guests happy and exciting.
If you plan to serve, chill, make it ahead, and refrigerate it for at least 6 hours.
Is badam milk good for health?
Indian badam milk is usually a sign of enjoyment and is healthy because of its nutritious ingredients. Sugar in this recipe is the odd man out. Therefore, you may substitute with natural sugars. Secondly, this is not an everyday drink, so the sugar part is occasionally acceptable. But you decide on the quantity of sugar according to your health. Also, refer to the calories in the badam milk if you are dieting.
Make ahead and Storing Ideas
- This badam milk recipe comes in super handy for making the head section.
- You may make the drink in the large pitcher the previous day and refrigerate it.
- You may store the paste of badam and milk separately and make it whenever necessary.
- Store them in the air-sealed containers in the refrigerator because the milk is a delegate and can infuse with the unwanted odor.
- You may refrigerate it for one or two days. And you may freeze to use it for a month.
- The frozen ones are also tasty, and the kids love those. Use molds to make them in smaller shapes.
Kesar Badam milk benefits
- This is a filling drink; I sometimes have this as a light dinner. I used to have it in a glass and did not feel hungry at midnight.
- This recipe is super helpful to serve as a mid-day snack.
- Serve in small glasses when serving as a welcome drink to the guests.
- It is a delicious drink that the kids and the children love.
- Make this at home to double up your joy in celebrating the happy occasion.
Variations and Substitutions
The recipe remains the same whether you serve this drink as hot or cold.
- For hot badam milk, you serve it immediately. In the cold version, you bring the mixture to room temperature and chill it in the refrigerator.
- If you are allergic to milk, you may substitute with store-bought Almond milk.
- You may substitute milk with other vegan milk, like soy or coconut milk.
- Cardamom and saffron give a beautiful, authentic color and flavor. I would highly recommend using them.