Today we are going to talk about the luxurious and traditional Indian drink-Badam milk recipe. This Indian style almond milkshake is made with milk, almonds, cardamom, saffron strands, and sugar.
This Indian milkshake recipe bursts with bright yellow color-thanks for the plush ingredient saffron.
Will make you lingering over its creamy milk, with a few crunchy nuts, and with the mild flavor of cardamom.
This Badam Milk recipe is outrageously easy that anyone can make. Best you do not have prior experience in the kitchen; you can nail it like a professional Indian chef.
Being a mom, I let you know the secret. This is the best recipe to encourage the children to help you in the kitchen. They love to assist you as they get their sweet reward.
Writing this post makes me feel nostalgic-My memories are rewinding to my childhood days. Before the corporate colas occupy the market in India, this is one of the healthy drink available in the stores.
This is the healthy and tasty thirst quenchers; the parents also love to get for their children without any inhibitions.
After settling in the United States for a long time, I still cannot forget this badam milk recipe.
And my eyes unknowingly search for this type of cold drink, whenever I enter the gas station stores after a long drive. I do not like to drink milk, but I adore this one.
To my surprise, these are not available in our Indian stores as well. So, the only available option is to make at home. You can also chill and rest back as its recipe requires few common Indian ingredients.
Do not worry even if your kitchen is not with these ingredients. We will discuss its possible substitutions in the following.
What is Badam Milk?
Badam is the Indian name for Almonds. And so, badam milk is a milkshake make with almond paste. This full-filling drink is called as Kesar badam milk, where Kesar means saffron. An authentic recipe of India for centuries.
A very refreshing drink, almond, and milk provide instant energy in the dehydrating summertime.
This badam milk recipe is locally called as 'Badam doodh' in Hindi, 'Badam paal' in Tamil. This is an authentic Indian recipe and should not be confused with Almond milk-a dairy substitution.
Other drinks to try,
Badam milk recipe
Ingredients for soaking
- ½ cup Badam /Almonds
- 1 cup water
- 16 saffron strands
- ⅙ cup milk
- 4 cups Milk
- 8 teaspoon sugar or as required
- Soak badam for about 2 hours.
- Soak saffron strands in lukewarm milk for about 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Reserve the water and remove the skin of almond.
- In a blender add the reserved water and almonds.
- The grind to a smooth silky paste with a blender.
- Combine the almond paste to the milk.
- Bring milk to boil.
- Lower the heat and cook it in the medium flame, until badam cooked and combined well in the milk.
- Add saffron soaked milk and sugar to the boiling mixture.
- Switch off the heat and serve hot or chilled
shavings of the nuts, as it may choke them
How does it taste like?
Badam milk recipe yields a sweet, creamy, rich, and thick milkshake with the subtle flavor of cardamom and saffron. This can be consumed as hot or cold, depending on the time and season of serving.
While reading this post, are you guessing this drink tastes like smoothies, You are wrong? There is enormous difference shakes to this badam drink. The people who do not love dairy will love this badam drink like me-this recipe definitely will not disappoint you.
This drink is adaptable, can be served as a hot or a cold drink. In India, it is served as cold in the day time. And as hot in the night time. But there is no strict rule and choice; however, you prefer serving badam milk at home.
As an addition, if you want to impress someone with the food, but have time constraints in the kitchen. This is badam milk recipe is for you, I cannot express how easy and healthy it is(other than the sugar part).
The best welcome drink for a party. I thought this would make all the guests happy and exciting.
If you are planning to serve chill, make ahead of time, and refrigerate it minimum for 6 hours.
Is badam milk good for health?
The Indian badam milk usually refers to the sign of enjoyment and is healthy because of its nutritious ingredients. Sugar in this recipe is the odd man out. Therefore you may substitute with natural sugars. Secondly, this is not an everyday drink, so the sugar part is occasionally is acceptable. But you decide on the quantity of sugar according to your health. Also, refer the calories in the badam milk if you are dieting.
Make ahead and Storing Ideas
- This badam milk recipe comes super handy when it comes to making ahead section.
- You may make the drink in the large pitcher in the previous day and refrigerate it.
- You may store the paste of badam and milk separately and make it whenever necessary.
- Store them in the air sealed containers in the refrigerator because the milk is a delegate and can infuse with the unwanted odor in the fridge.
- You may refrigerate it for one or two days. And you may freeze to use it for a month.
- The frozen ones are also tasty, and the kids love those. Use molds to make them in smaller shapes.
Kesar Badam milk benefits
- This is a filling drink; I sometimes have this as a light dinner. I used to have it in a glass and do not feel hungry at midnight.
- This recipe is super helpful to serve as a mid-day snack.
- Serve in small glasses when serving as a welcome drink to the guests.
- A delicious drink that the kids and the children love.
- Make this at home to double up your joy in celebrating the happy occasion.
Variations and Substitutions
Whether you serve this drink as hot or cold, the recipe remains the same.
- For hot badam milk, you serve it immediately. Whereas, for the cold version you bring the mixture to the room temperature and chill it in the refrigerator.
- If you are allergic to milk, you may substitute with store-bought Almond milk.
- You may also substitute milk with other vegan milk like soy milk, coconut milk.
- Cardamom and saffron give a beautiful authentic color and flavor. I would highly recommend using them.