This Saffron tea is warm and mild with the nourishing flavor, which is really refreshing. I know one would think like how could a few strands of saffron makes the tea aromatic and fresh.
How to make saffron tea? Is this a common question that everyone has? In fact, many of you do not hear of making tea with saffron.
Because saffron is the expensive ingredient of all in the entire world. And it is not affordable to use it every day in our daily life.
This warm drink is made with few saffron strands, mint leaves, honey, lemon wedges.
Saffron is one of the most expensive spices from the plant ‘saffron crocus.’ It is a threadlike stigma from the flower. It tastes subtle with a slight bitterness.
It brings out a bright yellow color to the food. And generally used for decorating and as a food coloring agent.
In Indian Cooking, the saffron is used as a garnishing ingredient mainly in sweets and sweets.
This precious spice cost around $10 for 5 grams of saffron, here in the United States.
Do you think that saffron tea has strong and bold flavors? No, absolutely not. It is elegant and luxurious, that you will feel in every sip.
How to serve Saffron tea?
Saffron tea is great when it is warm. I prefer to have it in the evening not combined with any meal or snacks. Saffron has a significant unique flavor, and it is good; it is served this way.
Other saffron recipes
How does saffron tea taste like?
This Kashmiri saffron tea tastes classy and splendid, with the hint of mint flavor, and lemon flavor. Since saffron has a delicate flavor, this Indian chai tastes great when the other added spices are mild and subtle as well.
How to prepare saffron tea with green tea?
(This question may sound simple for many. But this may help for those who wish to know the exact process.)
- If you have green tea leaves, add it when boiling the water and strain before adding saffron.
- If you are using green tea bags, add it along the saffron strands.
The variations for Saffron Tea
The recipe Which I discuss here is the simple and basic recipe. And this chai can be customized and altered to suit one’s personal preference.
- Add green tea, this gives another dimension to this beverage.
- Make your regular tea and add saffron.
- Add cinnamon stick while boiling water. This enhances the flavor with a hint of sweetness.
- Substitute honey with maple syrup or any other sweeteners.
- Have green cardamom at home? Remove the seeds and throw them in the skin alone while boiling water.
- Have fresh holy basil? Add them new just before serving. This ingredient makes authentic medicinal Indian chai.
Make-ahead and Storing the leftover
This tea Tastes great when made fresh. You may keep ready all the ingredients separately and add just before serving.
It can be consumed within 2-3 hours of making when it kept in the kitchen counter. This tea is made more for its medicinal values so I would advise preparing the required amount of tea.
Key Ingredients and their substitutions
Saffron. This is the prime ingredient, has a bitter taste. So often it is wrapped with other ingredients to cover up its flavor.
Mint leaves. This gives a refreshing taste, make it fresh and clean. If you do not have fresh mint leaves. Try adding dried mint leaves. If both are not available, you may add rosemary or lemongrass. But be aware that these are two unique ingredients and have their distinct flavors.
Lemon wedges. Lemon wedges or lemon slices? Both bring out different tastes. Lemon slices make the tea sour, while the wedges infuse lemon flavor to the Indian tea.
Honey. Combining honey is optional. I want saffron to get noticed in this saffron tea recipe, so I have mentioned ¼ teaspoon of honey, but adjust this according to your choice.
Other Tea recipes you may like,
- 2 cups water
- 6 mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 12 strands saffron
- Boil. Bring water to a rolling boil. Switch of the flame.
- Infuse. Add mint leaves and honey. Stir in until honey is completely dissolved in water. Then strain the liquid.
- Add. Transfer to the serving cups, add one lemon wedge and 4-5 strands of saffron to each cup
- Serve. Serve immediately when the tea is still hot.
Liked this recipe? Follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram.
Buy best quality saffron Here
Fascinating recipe of saffron tea and also it is simple and sweet which can be done at any time, thanks for this recipe.