Chettinad Style Egg Gravy or Muttai Thokku is prepared in most of the Tamil homes with little variations. Every pinch of this egg gravy gives out equally hot, sour and salt taste.
Adding curry leaves and peppercorns bring out the perfect aroma and unique taste to this gravy. Chettinad recipes are known for its hot n spiciness, which balances all taste and flavors.
Our entire family addicted to this hot n spicy gravy and can call this dish as a universal side dish, as it perfectly pairs up with steamed rice, Biryani, Pulao, Roti, Chapathi.
I prefer to see onion texture in the gravy, if you do not prefer it, go for finely chopped onions. If you wish to have thicker and more gravy, then increase the quantity of onion and tomatoes.
Boil eggs for 12 min and more boiling can result in harder yolk and can convert yolk from bright yellow color to gray color.
It is always a good idea to check the expiry date, and check the freshness of eggs before using it, as we did not know how long it was stored in the stores.
How to make Egg thokku
Boil egg for 12 min, run through cold water, peel shell. Slit the eggs slightly on the top till yolk section, so that masala can get into the egg. Make sure, you are not over doing it, otherwise, everything comes apart when cooking further.
Chop onion, tomato. Store-bought ginger, garlic paste can also be used. But I always try to make it fresh.
Heat oil in the pan, add seasoning spices. Saute them till it becomes golden brown.
Add chopped onion and fry them further in medium flame, till it becomes pick and tender. Add curry leaves. Stir them occasionally, make sure it should not get burnt.
Add tomatoes and saute it further more by adding little salt. Adding little salt helps tomatoes break down and blends well to the gravy. Once tomato becomes mushy, add chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and saute for another 1 min, in slow flame.
Add peppercorns and a cup of water and allow it to boil in high flame. Once the consistency reached your desired thickness. Add egg and in simmer flame cook it further for another 2-3 mins.
Chettinad Egg Gravy perfect side dish for everything, white rice, pulao, biryani, Idlis, Dosa, Roti, Paratha.
Chettinad Style Egg Gravy
For the prepping
- 4 egg boiled and shelled
For the cooking
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 2 cloves
- 1 bay leaf small
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1½ cup tomato chopped
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 11/2 cup water
For the prepping
- Boil egg for 12 min, run through cold water, peel shell. Slit the eggs twice on the top for 1 inch.
For the cooking
- Over medium heat, place a pan and add vegetable oil.
- Add cinnamon, cloves, and bay leaf. Saute them till it becomes golden brown.
- Add chopped onion and cook till it becomes soft and tender.
- Add ginger garlic paste and staute for 2 minutes or until it is fragrant.
- Add tomatoes and saute by sprinkling little salt. Adding little salt helps tomatoes break down and blends well to the gravy. Saute till tomato becomes mushy.
- Now add red chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and saute for another 1 min but without burning the spice powders.
- Add black pepper, curry leaves, salt, and water. And cook for 8 minutes
- Add eggs and cook for another 3 mins or until it reaches the desired thickness.
- Serve hot with rice.
Tips and Variations:
The recipe can be used to make other Chettinad gravy items, especially with chicken, mutton, brinjal etc.,