This butternut squash mac and cheese recipe is a healthier tweak to the regular version. The sauce made with butternut squash, which makes the dish not only creamy but also taste better than the readymade ones.
It’s a healthy mac and cheese for the kids, I’m sure the kids would love this. Mom’s does feel heartful feeding the children with good food.
Once I keep avoiding to make mac and cheese at home for my son until I found this veggie sauce. And now this dish became a staple here. Moreover, a must try the recipe when squashes are available abundant in the stores. To tell you the truth, they are cheaper and fresh in this season.
How to make Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese:
I went with small sized whole butternut squash maybe around 4 cups of butternut cubes. If you feel like to have more creamy saucy mac and cheese, then go ahead and add more portions.
healthy butternut squash mac and cheese Vegetarian recipe
This butternut squash mac and cheese recipe is vegan and healthy. This creamy sauce made dairy free with butternut squash. This tastes extremely delicious great for kids, for families and for parties.
- 2 Cups of multi-grain macaroni
- 1 small yellow onion
- 4 Cups of Vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp of butter
- 1/2 Cup Whole milk
- 1 tsp of salt or as required
- 1/2 Cup of Cheddar Cheese
- Crushed Black Pepper to taste
- Cook multi-grain elbow pasta as per the package instructions.
- Remove the skin of the butternut squash and cut them into small cubes.
- In a pan, add butter and wait until it gets meltdown. Add chopped yellow onion. In low heat, saute until it turns golden brown.
- In the same pan, add vegetable broth, followed by butternut squash cubes. Add salt and cover it with a lid. Cook until it turns soft and tender. Set aside to bring it to the room temperature.
- In a blender add this mixture and puree until it becomes creamy in texture. Note: Add the liquid little at a time to avoid any over splashing.
- In a pan, add cooked macaroni, milk, sauce, cheese and salt.
- Adjust the consistency with milk according to your desire.
Serve butternut squash mac and cheese hot with crushed peppercorns.