Mall pretzel recipe-Homemade soft pretzel recipe is a super easy recipe that you can make without much effort.
No more waiting hours in the long queues in Pretzel joints in the Shopping Malls. We can make them at home with better flavor, taste, and more economically.
My son always pulls me back whenever we cross pretzel joints in Shopping Malls. This is one of his favorite snacks, he finishes off his portions very fast and asks for more. But hesitating to wait in the long queue, we drag him off from the floor.
I always go with king Arthur's blog for bread recipes, as it always comes with a little secret for baking results. Here in this soft pretzel recipe too, it has a secret for getting the golden-brown crust. We would see that in the procedures of Mall pretzel recipe.
Pro tips for Mall pretzel recipe
Soaking in the baking powder solution is just to get the golden brown color, without this step also been done, but your pretzels will be pale in color.
Any form of active yeast can do its job, but make sure you follow the manufacturer's procedure.
Knead the dough well, the more they work, the better the pretzels would be. So knead it minimum for 5-7 minutes or until the dough has a smooth surface.
While make the shape of pretzel depends on our patience. Make the long thin dough by giving even pressure. If you are successful in making this procedure, then you have come closure to the delicious pretzels which are better than your favorite shopping mall stores.
How to make
The Mall pretzel recipe asked for all-purpose flour, and I always go with Bread flour. This makes us not to go wrong anywhere. I have used instant pizza crust yeast. But any other active yeast would work fine. But always rely on the manufacturer's procedure for making the dough. This instant pizza crust yeast does not require resting time which saved some time for me in the kitchen.
Mix salt, sugar and blend it with a blender. Then add 1 cup of flour and whisk it again to form a smooth paste. Then add remaining flour and water alternatively, little by little.
Here I did add the remaining flour and water alternatively for about three times. (This is how I made my pretzel dough, make yours depending on the manufacture instructions on the yeast package).
Make a smooth dough knead it very well until the dough is smooth and silky, kneading is another important part in the making of pretzel-like shopping mall stores.
You can knead it in the stand mixers for better results. And if you are kneading it by hands, make sure you knead it for at least 5 min.
Divide it into small balls, I made 16 balls out of this flour.
Make a portion of the dough into a long and thin about 10-12 inches.
Twist the dough rope and make a knot as illustrated in this image.
Turn the knot upside and make sure the knot is inside the top circle.
Convert the dough into this shape and leave it aside.
Take a big bowl adds 2 cups of water and bring it to boil and switch off the stove and immediately add 4 tbsp of baking soda. Need to careful here, as this solution tends to overflow. Switch off the stove and bring the mixer to the room temperature.
By the time, the knotted dough might have raised a little. Add these in the cooled baking soda solution and soak it for not more than 2 min. This is the secret for getting the golden brown color evenly like the ones which are available in your nearby shopping malls.
Remove it and arrange it in the tray sprayed with oil or in the parchment papered tray. Leave it for another 10 min, the solution will get absorbed by the dough. Sprinkle little kosher salt, pretzel salt if needed. Here I did not add anything.
Bake it in the preheated oven at 475 degrees for 10 min. I did it exactly for 10 min, but it may change from oven to oven, so please keep an eye on the oven, as these pretzels may tend to go on either side if care was not given.
Just open the oven, you will definitely say "Wow" by looking at the evenly golden pretzels. Brush the pretzels with little butter. Serving with 'Garlic butter' will sure receive more "Wow"s from others too..Your whole home will be echoed with "Wows" for sure.
See how easy is this Mall pretzel recipe, make your own and pat yourself for the outcome.
Other appetizer recipes you may like
- Cumin potatoes
- Vegetarian Stromboli
- Garlic Knots recipe
- Spicy Hasselback potatoes
- Spicy appetizer recipes
Printable recipe card
Mall pretzel recipe
For the dough
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp instant yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 cups all purpose flour + more if needed
- 1 tbsp butter
- 10 cups water
- 4 tbsp baking soda
For the dough
- In a mixing bowl, add sugar, salt, yeast, and warm water. with water. And combine until sugar and salt dissolves and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Then add 1 cup of flour and whisk it again to form a smooth paste. Then add remaining flour in intervals.
- Knead and make a smooth dough.
- Divide it into 16 equal portions.
For the pattern
- Over the kitchen counter, place a portion and roll it like a thin long rope of 12 inch in length approximately.
- Make sure the dough rope looks even in diameter. Dust the four if needed.
- Once the rope is ready, bend it like a inverted U. And make a cross by bringing the sides and meeting at half of its length.
- We have a circle at the top and two open ends at the bottom.
- Gently fold and Insert the open ends into the circle like a traditional pretzel pattern.
- Repeat the making process for the remaining dough portions as well.
- And rest it for 15 minutes by covering with a kitchen towel.
- Take a wode bowl adds 2 cups of water and bring it to boil and switch off the stove and immediately add 4 tbsp of baking soda. And allow it to cool to the room temperature.
- By the time, the knotted dough might have raised a little.
- Add pretzels one after the other(without crowding the pan) in the baking soda solution and soak it for 2 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees Fareneheit.
- Meanwhile, line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Arrange the soaked pretzel in the tray, and brush with butter if needed.
- Sprinkle kosher salt and set aside for another 10 minutes.
- Bake it in the 475 degrees for 10 min or until it is done. And Serve.