Cumin potatoes are easy to make in a few minutes without any hassles. This recipe requires fewer ingredients and is best suited as a side dish for lunch boxes or a side dish for dinner.
This Indian-style cumin-potatoes recipe is a straightforward stir-fry dish. You will find the recipe with step-by-step pictures and a quick video here.
Recipes are bookmarked for their taste or for the time they consume for making. This cumin-roasted potato recipe should be bookmarked because of its quick minutes to make it. It also comes as a rescue for beginners.
It is also called 'Jeera Aloo' in India, where the word 'Jeera' refers to cumin and 'Aloo' refers to potato. So this jeera aloo can be blindly translated as cumin potato.
What's good about this recipe?
It's easy. There is no hard fasten rule; the method is simple and quick.
Needs minimal ingredients. Unlike any other Indian recipe, it calls for a few ingredients, but the cumin roasted potatoes have fabulous bold flavors.
Minimal prepping work. If the ingredients are handy, it gets ready for the dinner table in a flash of time.
The ingredients and their possible substitutions
Cumin. Cumin is considered one of the essential ingredients in India. It is also rich in antioxidants. If you are searching for cumin recipes, this cumin potato recipe is dedicated to you.
This is an excellent pantry staple ingredient, that stays good for about a year when stored properly.
Coriander seeds. Enhances the dish with a bright, warm aroma. Like cumin seeds, they are stored well in the pantry for a long time.
Red chili powder. Indian-style red chili powder is referred to here. As a substitution, you may use paprika, cayenne pepper, or a combination of both, depending on your spice tolerance.
Garam masala. Flavor booster in here that brings out the flavor and taste of your favorite Indian restaurant.
Dry mango powder. An Indian ingredient, which is hard to find in regular stores in the US. You can get them in Indian stores or online stores.
Added for its subtle sourness. You may swap it with a dash of lemon juice, or skip using this.
How to make cumin potatoes?
In medium heat, in a pan add 3-4 tablespoon of cooking oil. Followed by 1 tablespoon of cumin seeds. Allow it to splutter.
Then add crushed coriander seeds, red chili powder, garam masala, and dry mango powder.
Fry them for a second, until it leaves out nice aroma in the air.
Add boiled, peeled, and cubed potatoes.
Fry them until this masala mixture coats well the potatoes.
Serve hot along with roti or white steamed rice.
- This cumin potatoes recipe becomes super quick if you have boiled and peeled potatoes handy.
- To make everyday cooking easier, boil and peel the potatoes whenever you have leisure time. And they can be refrigerated in an airtight container and it stay good for about 4-5 days. You may also deep freeze it for more extended use.
- Crushed coriander seeds are added to these Indian fried potatoes. It brings lots of aromas, but substitute it with coriander powder if you do not find the time.
Other appetizer recipes you may like
- Indian cauliflower fry
- Garlic Knots recipe
- Homemade pretzel recipe
- Garlic pull-apart bread
- Spicy appetizer recipes
Printable recipe card
- In medium heat, in a pan add 3 tablespoon of vegetable oil. Followed by 1 tablespoon of cumin seeds. Allow it to splutter.
- Then add crushed coriander seeds, red chili powder, garam masala, dry mango powder, and salt.
- Fry them for a second, until it leaves out nice aroma in the air.
- Add boiled, peeled and cubed potatoes .
- Fry them until this masala mixture coats well the potatoes.
- Serve Jeera Aloo hot along with roti or white steamed rice.