Cumin potatoes are easy to make in a few minutes without any hassles. This recipe required lesser ingredients, best suited to make as a side dish for lunch boxes or as a side dish for the dinner.
This Indian style cumin potatoes recipe is a straight forward stir fry dish. Here you will find the recipe with step by step pictures and a quick video.
Recipes are bookmarked for their taste or for the time it consumes for making. This cumin roasted potato recipe should be bookmarked because of its super quick minutes for making it. It also comes as a rescue for beginners.
Its also called as 'Jeera Aloo' in India, where the word 'Jeera' refers to cumin and 'Aloo' refers to potato. So this jeera aloo can be blindly translated as cumin potato.
What's good about this recipe?
Its easy. No hard fasten rule, the method is simple and super quick.
Needs minimal ingredients. Unlike any other Indian recipes, it calls for the few ingredients, but the cumin roasted potatoes are with fabulous bold flavors.
Minimal prepping work. If the ingredients are handy, it gets ready to the dinner table in a flash of time.
The ingredients and their possible substitutions
Cumin. Cumin is considered as one of the important basic ingredients in India. That is also rich in antioxidants. If you are searching for recipes with cumin, this cumin potatoes is dedicated for you.
This is an excellent pantry staple ingredient, that stays good for about an year when stored properly.
Coriander seeds. Enhances the dish with bright warm aroma. Same as cumin seeds it stores well in the pantry for a long time.
Red chili powder. Indian style red chili powder is referred in here. As a substitution, you may use paprika or cayenne pepper or combination of both, depending on your spice tolerance.
Garam masala. A flavor booster in here, it mimics the flavor and the taste from your favorite Indian restaurant.
Dry mango powder. An Indian ingredient, which is hard to find in the regular stores in the US. You get them in Indian stores or online stores.
Added for its subtle sourness. You may swap with a dash of lemon juice, or skip using this.
How to make cumin potatoes?
In medium heat, in a pan add 3-4 tbsp of cooking oil. Followed by 1 tbsp of cumin seeds. Allow it to splutter.
Then add crushed coriander seeds, red chili powder, garam masala, and dry mango powder.
Fry them for a second, until it leaves out nice aroma in the air.
Add boiled, peeled, and cubed potatoes.
Fry them until this masala mixture coats well the potatoes.
Serve hot along with roti or white steamed rice.
- This cumin potatoes recipe becomes super quick if you have boiled and peeled potatoes handy.
- To make everyday cooking easier, you may boil and peel the potatoes whenever you have leisure time. And they can be refrigerated in an airtight container and it stays good for about 4-5 days. And you may also deep freeze it for longer use.
- Crushed coriander seeds are added to these Indian fried potatoes. It brings lots of aromas, but substitute it with coriander powder if you do not find the time.
Other appetizer recipes you may like
- Indian cauliflower fry
- Garlic Knots recipe
- Homemade pretzel recipe
- Garlic pull-apart bread
- Spicy appetizer recipes
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander seeds crushed
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp dry mango powder amchur powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups potato boiled, peeled, and cubed potatoes
- In medium heat, in a pan add 3 tbsp of vegetable oil. Followed by 1 tbsp of cumin seeds. Allow it to splutter.
- Then add crushed coriander seeds, red chili powder, garam masala, dry mango powder, and salt.
- Fry them for a second, until it leaves out nice aroma in the air.
- Add boiled, peeled and cubed potatoes .
- Fry them until this masala mixture coats well the potatoes.
- Serve Jeera Aloo hot along with roti or white steamed rice.