This Potato fry south Indian style with Curd / Yogurt rice. Yum. You must try this combo. I’m sure you would come back and say ‘Yes. You’re right!!’. This is a simple and quick everyday side dish recipe.
This is one of the best Indian potato recipes-side dishes that everyone can make. Best suitable recipe for the one who started exploring the kitchen. If you left with 15 minutes in the kitchen, and you are in the task of making a whole meal, then make curd rice and this, not so crispy potato fry Indian recipe.
If anyone comes up with a question ‘which food you like most?’, without any hesitation I will shout it is this ‘Potato Golden Fry’. In my school day, when I don’t have any food restriction, I use to finish 3-5 kgs of potatoes per week.
I have some simple all-time recipes for potato and this is the most important one. Curd / Yogurt rice with this, you need to try this combo. Makes you come back and say ‘Yes. You’re right!!’. This is also called as ‘Urulai Fry’ in Tamil.
Why you should make this Potato fry south Indian style
- If you think of making any potato spicy fry, here you go. This recipe perfectly suits your needs. This is spicy, hot and tastes delicious.
- It is super simple to make with very minimal ingredients and with minimal steps and procedures.
- Best suitable for last minute meal preparations.
- Surprise guest, do not worry. You have this recipe handy, then the world is yours. Sorry, a bit of overwhelmed with this potato fry Indian recipe.
- Very cost effective, because this is made with potato, fennel seeds, red chili powder and cooking oil, and no fancy, expensive ingredients.
- The availability of the ingredients is also simple to find here in the United States of America.
Serving Suggestions for Potato fry south Indian style
These are some of the few rice dishes that perfectly compliments this potato fry.
I use the leftover for making a sandwich. Wish to hear, how I did it? well, it as easy as you thought of. Toast the bread, and reheat this Indian fried potatoes in between two slices. Spread your favorite spicy sauce like sriracha sauce or tomato ketchup. Serve immediately.
Another smart way of using the leftover Indian potato fry is to use as a stuffing for dosa. I cut the leftover into small size, and sprinkle potato and coriander leaves on top of the dosa. And serve hot. The children would love this south Indian potato recipe and keeps asking you to make again and again.
Variations potato spicy fry
- Swap the cooking oil with coconut oil. Which makes it authentic Kerala style potato fry.
- If fennel seeds are not available to you, use cumin seeds instead. Which is equally flavorful and both has its own medicinal properties.
- Add cauliflower florets to make it more quantity. Which is easy while making for a crowd.
- Substitute red chili powder with cayenne pepper and paprika in this Potato fry south Indian style.
- Add curry leaves, chopped garlic, chopped coriander leaves. Anyone of these or all. Each one of these ingredients has its unique flavors and would be great when they all are combined together as well.
- Add chopped garlic along with fennel seeds, gives the interesting flavor to this recipe.
- Slice potatoes lengthwise also yield the same taste, but the dish looks much more even in size.
- Cooking in lower flame with little more oil provides crispy, crunchy potatoes.
- The leftover can be used for stuffing the sandwiches.
Potato fry south Indian style
- 1 Cup Potato Sliced
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 2 tbsp Cooking oil
- 1/2 tsp Salt or as required
- Peel potatoes and slice them slight thick pieces.
- In the pan add 2 tbsp of oil and fennel seeds and wait till it turns golden brown.
- It and cooks it in the medium flame..by flipping them occasionally.
- Now we are ready to try our golden pieces of potatoes. Serve as a side dish for rice.
Do not forget to check out another recipe of Potato Kurma, here in PepperBowl.